Chapter 13: Discussion

"Alan!" I heard someone boom from the hallway. I rolled my eyes as I heard angry footsteps stomping towards me. Romand, Caiden, and I managed to make it back to the room where we first had the strategic meeting with the other mages. Slowly, outside, the mages were clearing up the dead demons and then going back to the island to write up reports about what had happened. It was mainly a precaution because Romand knew what happened, but he wanted to hear what occurred from everyone's point of view so they would write up their individual reports. The only mages who would stay on the ground were Drac, Nene, Lucy, and Akan; mostly because Romand and Caiden were having a conversation, and they needed to be in on it too. I, unfortunately, had to stay as well, since I was also the focus of the conversation.

Drac burst through the doors with a glower on his face with Nene, Lucy, and Akan trailing behind. I watched as Lucy lightly closed the door behind a storming Drac, whose face changed dramatically as he was met with Caiden.

"My apologizes, King Caiden," Drac murmured, stooping low into a bow. Caiden stood beside me facing the door with Romand standing directly across from us. Caiden had come back to the castle and put his robe and crown back on, only a formality since he was going to be in the company of the mages.

"It's alright," Caiden murmured in response, lifting his right hand to tell them to stop their bows. The four of them came forward, Drac a little sheepishly as Nene slapped him in the back of the head.

"Report," Romand commanded Drac and Nene. Drac preceded to tell his side of the story, where he and I both encountered a wolf demon and he defeated it as I ran off to another destination. Nene stated all she knew was that there was chaos in the center, and she didn't find any traces of demons near the castle. So, she felt it would be fine if she and the others left to go and help the growing number of demons in the center since Romand, Akan, and Lucy were watching over Caiden.

"You are always supposed to stay in your patrolling area," Romand growled, a frown deep on his face. His cat ears set low and back on his head, revealing his anger. "If you were still patrolling the grounds, we could have seen what happened to King Caiden." Nene's head hung low as she nodded and listened to Romand's words. None of the others dared to make a noise to comfort Nene, and instead, they all listened to Romand; because everyone here knew that a mistake such as Nene's was dire. She was meant to protect the castle, and instead left her grounds and risked the lives of everyone inside. I wouldn't be surprised if this caused Romand to demote her. Caiden cleared his throat to break the silence.

"What happened was a great error, but I understand that there are some things that we have to risk. Additionally, I am back safe and sound thanks to Alan, so there is nothing else that there needs to be said about the matter." Romand seemed to be chewing on the inside of his lips and turned to Caiden with a nod.

"I understand, King Caiden. I apologize once more for the screw-up my team has created. Thank you for your leniency." All of them bowed at Caiden and he nodded in response. Then, they turned to me.

"Now, we also need to discuss what happened in order for you to find him, Alan. Did Iban do anything?" Romand asked. I frowned and sighed, crossing my arms over my chest, and shifting my weight.

"Well, I just saw him in the square and followed him."

"Why did you chase him?" Romand asked. What is so unique about familiar is that they have the ability to hold in your magic for you, and when you call for them, they will come to aid you. Iban was different, however. I had no control over him. Yes, he was my familiar, but he was his own independent being, I couldn't call for him nor could I control what he did and when. If he wanted to give me power, he would. Luckily, I wasn't a mean mage, and I didn't really care to call Iban whenever he wanted, so I allowed him to do so without frustration. The main reason I chased him was simply because: