TWENTY-THREE

I WOKE UP to my phone ringing. I shifted and flinched when something soft brushed my cheek. My eyelids fluttered open and I saw that during the night, one of Elias' wings had draped itself over me.

I smiled. Rolling over, I shivered when his wing brushed my bare shoulder. He was still sound asleep, his midnight hair fanning around him as he slept, cradled in on himself.

I studied his face. The way his eyelashes settled over his perfectly sculpted cheekbones, the curve of his aristocratic nose, the pink and red hues of his lips, which to my embarrassment, were slightly more swollen than usual.

Memories of last night flooded my mind and I felt a blush creep up my cheeks. I could still feel his lips on mine, trailing down my neck...Another shiver raked over my body and I briefly wondered if, like his lips, I bore any marks of my own.

Last night, in the privacy of the motel room, Elias opened himself up to me. The passion that he unveiled in the Observatory was nothing in comparison. Even injured, he was intense. Following my movements, he grew more confident, more curious, and began exploring, learning, improving.

My whole body felt warm now. Shaking my head to rid myself of the thoughts, I looked down at his chest. My smiled faded.

Though not too alarming, his bandages were lightly stained with blood and I made a note to change them when he woke up. Gently, I slid myself out from under the shield of soft feathers to sit at the edge of the bed.

Looking down to nightstand where I hastily set my phone, my eyes widened at the sight of 30 missed calls from my mother.

How could I have forgotten?! I always greeted my mom after each of my shifts at the lab. She must be loosing her mind with worry that I didn't come home.

Immediately, I picked up my phone and dialed her number. She answered on the second ring.

"Aurora! Is it you?" Her voice sounded worried, but also tired. Was she up all night?

"Yes mom its me," I answered calmly. When I spoke, I felt Elias shift beside me.

"Oh my god. Where are you? You never came home last night. Do you have any idea how worried I have been, I damn near called the Police-"

"You didn't!" I gasped, cutting her off.

She sighed. "Not yet, but I swear I was going to. I've been calling for hours, you had me so worried. You already know how I dont like you working so far, especially in some secret compound in the middle of the valley! I was beginning to think those shady scientists did something to you."

I couldn't think of a response and my silence stretched too long. "They didn't did they?" She asked slowly, obviously suspicious at my lack of an answer.

I let out a breath. "Look Mom, its complicated. I just know that I can't come home right now." I said finally, bracing myself for her reaction.

She lost it. "WHAT?!" She screamed through the phone, making my ears ring "Why not? What's wrong? Are you in danger? Oh God they did do something to you..." she rushed out, panic lacing her voice.

"Mom, please calm down," I pleaded, running a hand through my sleep tossed hair. Elias was now fully awake, shifting to sit beside me on the bed. I had no doubt he could hear my mother on the other end of the phone and I avoided his gaze.

"I knew this internship was a bad idea. I told you how I felt about C.R.O.S.S. Laboratories and their secrets! Did you see something? Are they blackmailing you? Its okay you can tell me," She added hurriedly. I was genuinely surprised how correct her assumptions about C.R.O.S.S. Labs were, she must know more about these people than she lets on. I made a mental note to ask her more later.

"Yeah something like that," I mumbled, I didn't want her to know too much. I suppose in our case information can be dangerous. "I think it's for the best if I leave it at that. All you should know is that it is not safe mom, they are looking everywhere for us"

"Us?" she repeated curiously.

I glanced over at Elias. "Yeah me and uh...a friend" I added quickly, looking at Elias who raised an eyebrow. I cleared my throat and looked away.

"A friend? From the lab?" My mother asked incredulously, before continuing. "Never mind. Look, I don't know where you are, but if you need a safe place to hide you can stay with your grandmother."

My eyes widened. "Grandma? I thought you said we was dead?"

My mother sucked in a breath. "Not exactly. I said she was gone, and she is, from the eye of society. She moved off the grid out to some forest in Oregon, scrapping her entire life and removing herself from the modern world. But she is still alive, lives out in the boons, 'how they did in the old days', she always liked to say. It would be perfect place for you and your 'friend' to stay until things blow over," She said, I could hear her scrambling through papers on the other end of the line.

I could do nothing but sit in stunned silence. Not only was my grandmother alive, but she had a safe house out in the forest. Not to mention the fact that my mother seemed oddly unphased and even prepared for this situation.

Before I could respond, she spoke again. "Also, if anyone asks me, I swear this call never happened. I'm going to destroy my phone and I suggest you do the same. Trust me, you won't need it where you're going."

Despite my sudden brain fog, I was able to ask the question that had been lingering in the back of my mind. "My friend, he's a little uh-different. I don't want grandmother to be too surprised."

"Surprised? Trust me, your grandmother has seen a lot. When you get to that age, unless your friend is green and sprouting horns she'll be just fine," My mom added with a chuckle.

Elias shifted warily beside me.

I definitely wasn't laughing.

"Okay," I said after a moment. "What's the address?" I knew we would have to leave this motel soon, and I couldn't think of a better place we could go than a house blanketed by trees. I just hoped that our welcome wouldn't involve fainting old ladies and gun fire.

I heard papers shift on the other side of the line. "You ready?" My mother asked before relaying me the address, which I hastily wrote on a napkin using an old motel pen.

"Alright I got it," I said clutching the napkin, as the line went silent.

I was the first to speak. "Look...thanks for everything mom. I'm sorry for making you worry so much."

"I love you," I added, suddenly realizing I don't say that nearly often enough.

I could hear the smile in her voice. "And I love you too, call me when you get to grandmas. She should have a few burners. I'll visit you when it's safe."

We said our goodbyes before hanging up.

Handing Elias the phone, I watched in awe as snapped it in half, crushing it between his hands.

When he was done, our eyes met. I gave him a reassuring smile.

"Well...I guess we better get our stuff together. Looks like we're going to Oregon."