Chapter One

Shuichi POV:

I work at a roller skating rink with my friend Maki, however occasionally I work at an arcade. After hours, we'll skate together with everyone else that works there. There is more than just a roller skating rink though, there's a laser tag arena, arcade, bumper cars, food court, and near the food court a small concert venue-like area with a stage. Anyways, the only reason we skate together though is because we don't know anyone else who works there. I do have my eye on this one purple haired dude that works here though. His name is Ouma, he works over at the laser tag arena and occasionally the arcade whenever I do. On his breaks/lunch or whenever he gets the chance he'll come and try to flirt with me or try to annoy me, which not gonna lie i find it kinda cute. Maki usually does get annoyed though and will flip him off, she doesn't hate him though and she secretly cares for him because she knows I like him. "Yo whatcha starin at?" Maki looked at me and snapped in my face. "Ah! Oh nothing" I looked away from Ouma only to see him skating towards me. "Hey shumai! How are you tonight?" he asked me in a cheerful tone as always, "Ah hello Ouma, I'm good what about you" I nervously responded. "Wellllllllll I was wondering if you wanted to get to know each other a bit!" He went in front of me and started skating backwards. "Oh sure why not! Wait look out-" he almost ran into a wall but i caught him so he didn't. "Awww someone's got a crush!" I blushed at him teasing me, I mean he wasn't wrong. "No i just didn't want you getting hurt!" He laughed at this "okay sureeee! Let's go hang out now so that we can become friends!"

Kokichi POV:

I couldn't help but feel bad for myself. I mean my only friend lives two hours away from me so he can run his damn avocado farm or whatever. I sit here all alone all day getting kids ready for laser tag and getting called slurs by dumb football players 8th grade through collage seniors and parents. Just one friend, that isn't too much to ask for, right? "So where are we going exactly?" Shu asked me as we took our skates off. I snapped back into reality and responded, "Oh! Come, follow me! I have the perfect place!" I took his hand and started running, and he followed behind. In the laser tag arena there is a place above the ceiling where the lights, cameras, etc.. Are taken care of. Since I'm the one who handles all of that I made a little hangout place up there, so I took Shu up there. I often go there after long days or when I'm not bothering shumai so I can cry, I don't like doing that in front of anyone, not even my cat. "Want a drink or something? Make yourself at home." I wanted to treat him with respect because I really like him, and you just never know what someone else is going through. I want to make him feel welcomed and safe because he seems very stressed lately and just overall his mental health seems to be going down rapidly, it's obvious. He shows up late almost every day, always has some sort of energy drink. His hair is always messy, he has huge eye bags, always tired, and just always seems down. I wanna help him feel better even if there's no reason to. "So what do you like to do for fun Ouma?" He asked me, sitting down and looking in the fridge. "I just like to come up here and hang out, other than that I enjoy baking, playing video games, and mourning over my cat." I mumbled the last part hoping he wouldn't hear it. My poor cat has to get her eye taken out because she got attacked by a dog, but I can't afford the surgery for it. I've been trying to get another job and work extra hours to get paid more, and also raise money through social media. I might have to use my money for top surgery for it, though I don't have much saved. Maybe even my money for therapy. I'm not the wealthiest but you know, I try my best. "I'm sorry could you repeat that last part I couldn't hear it" he looked at me concerned. "Oh uh, it was nothing, just talking to myself!" I smiled in hopes he'd believe what I said. "If you say so '' he grabbed a monster and threw me a panta. "Wait how'd you know this is my favorite?" He smiled and chuckled, "well it's here for a reason right?" I laughed "Smooth Saihara-chan!" He walked over to me, "wanna come to my place tonight?" I blushed and looked at him "Sure why not shumai!" I giggled.

Shuichi POV:

I'm not quite sure where this confidence came from, but I hope it stays for a bit. I've been going through a lot at the moment, so I'm enjoying this. My uncle's been kinda hard on me lately because of me moving out and stuff, so it's nice to feel like this. I also enjoy the company, I just like Ouma. He's very sweet and welcoming. I feel safe around him. Despite the fact that he can be a bit much sometimes, he's a very sweet and a very kind person. I really wanna get closer to him. Maybe then I'll have a chance with him. "So what kinda music do you listen to?" he asked me. "I like MCR, Gorillaz, Nico Collins, Arctic Monkeys, lots more alternative stuff, what about you?" He smiled "Hah, emo, anyways i listen to Melanie Martinez, all the stuff you named, also lots of musicals and stuff." I smiled when he said musicals. "What's your favorite?" I said fast. "What?-" he giggled. "Musical, what's your favorite?" he gave a look of realization, "Ooohhh! I like Heathers!" My eyes widened, "If you were a heather which one would you be if you had to chose?" He smiled, "If I had to chose I'd be Chandler or McNamara, though I'm more of a J.D., you know?" I smiled "I'd definitely be McNamara, but I'm more of a Veronica'' he laughed "You a heather?" I giggled while getting the reference so I continued it "No, I'm a veronica." He then walked over to his speaker and connected his phone. He started playing Our Love Is God and sang it to me, I laughed and joined in at Veronica's part. After that song ended one of the Danganronpa OST came on and we started talking about Celesgiri. We agreed that he'd definitely be Celestia and I'd be Kyoko. Afterwards As The World Caves In came on and he got up, "Wanna dance Mr. Detective?" he giggled and so did i. I nodded and took his hand and started dancing with him. It might not have meant anything to him but I enjoyed it a lot. It felt right. I felt safe, all my worries and stress went away. Afterwards we sat down for a bit. He got up and stretched a bit, "Want a snack?" I looked up at him "Sure why not, but the others are probably getting worried so afterwards we should head back." he looked at me "Really? People worried? About me? Never." he laughed and got two boxes of pokeys out for us. He threw one over to me, I caught it. "Well Maki would be, I know she usually seems annoyed at you a lot but she does genuinely care about you! She's not the type to show it much but she does care about you, trust me" He looked away, "sure, the only people that care about me are my cat and my friend Rantaro who lives two hours away." I looked at him and held his hand hoping he wouldn't mind. "Well I care about you, I know we don't know each other so well but you're still my friend! And Maki cares about you, she acted like this when I first met her, the more I got to know her, the more she showed it and opened up!" He smiled, he seemed a lot happier. "Thank you Shumai, let's go!" he stood up and put his hand out. We ran back together and put our skates back on. I saw Maki talking to the space dude who works at the food court. Me and Kokichi went over to say hi. I skated to maki and whispered to her "Someone's got a crush~" and i turned around "Do you wanna die?'' I laughed, we treated each other like siblings. "If I have a crush then when is you and Ouma's wedding?" she said while putting her hair up in a high ponytail. I blushed and looked away "What-" I mumbled, Ouma giggled "Tonight!"

AN

Wow, 1508 words! I'm super excited to keep writing this and see what you guys think! Thank you so much for reading! Take care of yourselves, drink water and have three meals a day! If you wear binders make sure to take breaks! I love you all!