04.

30th August, 2001.

"who knew love,
was such a weight to carry."

Beyond the weathered walls of Daisy's home, there was a strong storm raging on. Heavy rain pelted the windowpanes and vicious winds whipped under the doors, flooding the home with a humid breeze.

Jasper's teeth gently grazed her skin as he slowly, teasingly trailed hot kisses from her jaw to the dip between her collarbones. Her breathy gasps and heaving chest, all the encouragement he ever needed.

Heated kisses soon turned to tangled limbs in tangled sheets, engrossed in each other and oblivious to the world beyond the walls. Every caress, every sound, every intimate gaze spoke immeasurably of their love. Neither dared speak, too afraid of shattering their delicate moment in time.

He worshipped her, body and soul. His every touch careful, but passionate. There was something desperate in their touches, an unbridled need to be as near to each other as they physically could. Perhaps it was the ticking clock inside of Daisy that spurred their neediness, in greedy hands and starved lips. A short amount of time to express a lifetime of emotions.

"I love you, my Daisy," he whispered, cradling her exhausted body next to his, a thin sheet draped over the couple. The air was still thick with the smell of sex and the unmistakable scent of Daisy; completely intoxicating.

"I love you too," she pressed a gentle kiss to his pale, bare chest. "More than words can begin to describe."

5th September, 2001.

"let me join you in your dreams because i can't bear to be apart."

"Get out!" she screamed, her face red and stained with tears. She was blindly throwing her belongings at him, herding him out of her room.

The argument started over a small comment he made, one that wasn't offensive or ill-meaning. But she took it to heart, overreacted and now was furious at him, for reasons she didn't even know. Anger and confusing were rolling off her while he simply let her vent her pent-up rage.

He knew she didn't mean it; he knew she loved him. Her ailment was just affecting her in more dramatic ways as it progressed. Carlisle had warned him about the likelihood of dramatic mood changes, even the possibility of her personality shifting. This outburst was just the painful evidence that she was deteriorating.

"I hate you! Leave me alone!"

God, if he could cry, he'd be a weeping mess. Watching her like this, irrational and aggressive, was breaking his heart. Her anger was so strong, he couldn't get a handle on it at the distance she was keeping from him.

"Sweetheart..."

"Shut up and leave!"

He couldn't take it anymore. In a blink, he was in front of her, her small, trembling hands firmly in his. She tried desperately to free herself, but his grip was unrelenting.

"Please," he whispered, slowly encompassing her in an embrace. Her struggling soon eased, violent sobs and pained cries replacing her raging words.

He could feel his calm sinking into her bones, and could feel her gut wrenching guilt cloud her brain. Her tears soaked through his shirt, not that he minded, and she clung to him like a lifeline. One of his hands cradled her head to his shoulder while the other arm was wrapped securely around her shoulders.

"Easy, love," he soothed, rocking her gently. He knew she was in pain, physically and emotionally, and he refused to let her cope alone. No matter how much she tried to push him away.

"I'm so sorry," she wept, gasping for breath through the shaking of her weakening body.

"It's alright, my Daisy. I know you don't mean it. I still love you." 

17th September, 2001.

"to love you and lose you,
would be the greatest privilege."

When he arrived in front of Daisy's home, ready to pick her up for the first day of school, he expected her to be out front to greet him. He exited his car, making his way to the front door before knocking. After a minute of silence, he decided to let himself in. Her mother had given him a spare set of keys, in case of emergency. 

Jasper found her curled up on her bedroom floor, staring blankly at the wall. She was dressed for school, mostly. All she was missing were her favorite pair of worn sneakers, which he found on the other side of the room, surrounded by broken glass from her shattered mirror.

"Daisy," he said quietly, sitting on the floor next to her, his arm instinctively reaching out to run his hand through her hair. "What's wrong, love?"

"It's getting worse," she whispered numbly. "I couldn't remember how to tie my own shoes."

His heart ached for her. His radiant lover was fading, the sudden decline in her health shaking him from the fairytale they had been living. Ignorance was bliss. He wanted to pretend she wasn't dying, that she wasn't going to leave him alone.

He wouldn't let himself grieve her yet, she needed him. Now more than ever.

"Here, sweetheart," he stood and effortlessly lifted her from the floor before sitting her on the edge of her bed. She was still gazing ahead, unseeing. He fetched her sneakers and knelt in front of her, slipping them on her feet and tying them securely.

"Thank you," he looked up to see her eyes wet with tears, her lip quivering and an overwhelming amount of gratefulness in her emotions. Her deep amber eyes bore into him, like she was looking into his soul. It's moments like these he wished he had Edward's gift, to hear what she was thinking.

"Anything for you, darlin'," he stood up and leant forward, wiping away the tears under her eyes with his thumbs. He pressed a kiss to her forehead, his lips lingering for a moment. Her dainty fingers clutched his jacket as her eyes closed tightly, fighting off another wave of tears.