023

Chapter Twenty-Three:
Dissociation

Reneé Trinity Jackson Chicago, Illinois

Chicago, Illinois

Her eyes fluttered open and she immediately recognised the ceiling—she was back at the hospital. An aching pain filled the side of her head as she looked around the room and found the room empty except for Lisa who was sleeping on one of the chairs. A sigh escaped her lips as she just let everything sink in.

I thought it was all just a nightmare. Reneé thought to herself as she felt her eyes well up with tears before they trickled down the sides of her face.

"Don't cry girl. You all good." Lisa said as she stood up and wiped the tears off her friend's face. She looked at her sadly before pulling a chair up to her bed.

"We back here again huh." Reneé said with a small smile as she stared at the familiar ceiling, she was sick of being in this hospital.

"He's in a coma. I know that's what you're wondering." Lisa said honestly, she watched as Renee's eyes slowly shut before she released a deep, shaky sigh.

"It's all my fault, Lisa." Reneé sobbed, her head was aching but she still sat up and cried. Lisa pulled her into a hug and let her cry on her shoulder.

If I hadn't reacted like that, he wouldn't have been hit. Reneé thought to herself.

"Why does it seem like death follows me every where I go?" Reneé asked which made Lisa pull away with a frown and wipe her tears. Her heart ached when she thought about what her friend was going through.

As she cried, the door barged opened and it revealed a very angry Cameron. His waves were messy and he was holding a double cup which meant one thing, he was back to sipping.

Reneé smiled sadly at Cameron but he didn't return the smile. Instead he looked at her with such hostility that it scared her, it worried her, that didn't seem like the Cameron that she knew.

"Lisa get out, I gotta talk to ha." Cameron said as he stood right beside Renee's bed.

Lisa looked at him crazy and then Reneé, she was about to say no but Reneé nodded her head and told her to go. Reluctantly, she walked out the hospital room and shut the door behind her. She didn't want to leave Reneé alone here but she had no choice but to respect her wishes.

"Cameron baby, this hurts. I can't believe Travis is in a coma." Reneé said as she sobbed. How was she going to cope if he died?

"Reneé just tell the truth." Cameron said shortly making Reneé look at him.

"What do you mean?" Reneé asked softly, his questions were short and vague but they scared her. He didn't talk to her in the softness that he sued to talk to her in, Cameron talked to her like she was nobody—like she was an opp.