// 1 //

"It looks like we need to go over this again. You need to start telling yourself it wasn't your fault if you want to heal. Now. What really happened?"

I blankly stare at the woman across from me. I didn't like this room. It had to many windows, too easy for me to escape. I could just leap out of the one behind me, really. No, I would want to make the safer decision so I would hurt my already injured leg. The window with the fire escape, behind the therapist who looked like a pristine version of a hippy. Her tye dye filled room made me feel safe, but her tight bun made me worried for her scalp and my safety.

It had been about a year since the accident. I live far far away from that horrible town now. The police made sure I relocated somewhere no one would recognize me, although the news made sure everyone knew my name. I was all that anyone could talk about for weeks. How did I survive? What was it like to live with a psychopath? What will I do with my new freedom? How will I move on? All the questions and I still didn't have an answer over a year after. I didn't want to talk to anyone except for Kane.

Kane became my support after everything. He was the only person I could fully trust with everything. He was there when I would wake up from nightmares. He was there when I couldn't get my leg to move the right way. He was there when the police told me I had to change my name and move to yet another small town. He was there when I wanted to jump off of the balcony that night.

"Do it, my Acacia. You can be with me again." He whispered in my ear. I knew he wasn't there. I knew it wasn't real. But he wouldn't leave me alone. I felt more tears run down my cheeks as I stared down at the cars passing by one by one. There wasn't as much traffic as usual. I could always hear the beeps of some asshole wanting to get past another asshole on wheels. But tonight they were silent.

"You're not real. I killed you." I whisper. Another trail of goosebumps goes up my arms as I feel the cold air of fall hit my bare arms. I felt warm hands cup my chin and I look up into blurry glasses.

"If I'm not real, then why don't you jump? Find out if I'm really going to be there on the other side, too? Don't you want to be with me? You promised you wouldn't leave me. So, do it. DO IT!" My whole body shakes as I lift myself over the railing. I couldn't do it anymore. He was everywhere. In my food, in my water, in the mirror. I saw him in the faces of doctors and nurses. Fuck, I saw him when I closed my eyes. If there was even a chance I wouldn't see him again, I would take it. There was no way he would follow me into death. That was mine. Right?

My toes touch the cool cement of the outer balcony. The city looked nice up here. It was more quiet up here. No one really came up here after midnight. I often strolled the halls at night, trying to keep Jase from showing up. I figured out that one floor was usually empty at this time. It was under some sort of construction that never seemed to end. I could barely see the cars now. My vision started to blur with the tears as my grip on the railing loosens.

"DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT" Jase screams at me in a high pitched voice. God, I hated his voice. I hated his glasses. I hated him. But I couldn't forget him. Not here. Not in this life. My hands let go of the railing and for a moment, Jase was gone. I couldn't picture his face or hear his voice. I couldn't think of anything but hitting the ground.

"ACACIA!" I felt arms wrap around my chest and my feet no longer felt the cool cement. I was lifted from the balcony and back over the railing. No. No. No. I extended my arms out to the city and started wailing. I was so close to being free.

"NO! LET ME GO LET ME GO! I HAVE TO I HAVE TO!" I scream at the person. My limbs flail as I try to get out of their grip and back to the balcony. I feel them rush me back into the room and the noise from the hospital fills my ears once more. They hug me tightly against them as they squat on the floor so I couldn't flail my arms and legs anymore.