Entranced

// Excerpt//

"It's not your fault," I whisper, clutching my hands together tighter. I let my eyes rest on the coffin in front of me. He wouldn't have wanted those flowers, especially all of the yellow wildflowers mixed with the blue lilacs. He was funny about his flowers.

I could hear the light patters of footsteps behind me, behind the closed doors. I was overstaying my welcome, even though I was the only person to show. Unease hung in the air, but it wasn't as thick as the sadness enveloping me. I could feel it warming me, consoling me, loving me. A proud creak rips its arms away from me. The scent of roses whisks into my nostrils. My hands start to shake.

"You're right. It was my fault." Lips press against the side of my forehead, as the familiar feeling of disgust replaces sadness. Even it hated this creature.

"You're not real. You're a figment of my imagination," I whisper. My skin burns as my chin is gripped harshly and I am turned to take in the monster next to me.

"Oh, I'm real, Acacia. And I'm done keeping my distance."

//

Acacia has lived a borderline sheltered life until the mysterious suicidce of her parents. After moving to the small hometown of her parents, she is kidnapped and held hostage by a sick serial killer. A year after her escape, she is now living under the witness protection program under a new name and under a new lifestyle. As she adapts to her new lifestyle, her past starts to poke its way through the veil her parents threw over her eyes. Will she be able to cope with the truth or will the past she wants to forget continue to pursue her?