Chapter 01

4th July, 2017

As Takamichi Hanagaki went to check an aisle of the DVD rental store where he worked, he abruptly stopped in place.

Several feet down the aisle, a beautiful young woman who looked to be foreign that had her loosely defined curly cerulean blue hair pinned in an elegant up-do with a single red spider lily hair accessory, curly cerulean strands framing her face. She had a medium brown skin tone and she was wearing on a traditional kimono that was mainly dark blue in hue with turquoise and red spider lilies blooming from it, her obi light gray. A simple silver earring in her right ear shimmered a bit due to the light. To finish the look, she had on white tabi socks and zori sandals.

Her reddish pink lips unknowingly carried a soft warm smile as she gazed downwards at the spine of the DVD case on the shelf, her long cerulean eyelashes making butterfly wing-like shadows on her cheeks.

Then as if sensing his presence, the female turned her head, her deep sea green eyes meeting his blue ones.

Having been stunned by the female's looks for several seconds, Takamichi then internally panicked. 'Ahhhh! Is she going to ask me a question?! How am I going to answer! Should I call the manager?! Wait! I learned some basic English in middle school!!' Squeezing his eyes closed then, reopening them, he took a step forward. "Ah, h-hello. H-H-How..... may I hep-help you?"

Seeing his attempt to speak in English to provide her service, the woman softly chuckled a bit. Tilting her head to side, she smiled, "thanks for trying to speak in my first native language. I can speak Japanese."

Takamichi eyes widened in surprise because of how fluent she was in Japanese and how she sounded like a local. But then as he thought about what she had said and he studied her facial features a bit more, he came to the conclusion that she might be mixed. 'So I tried to speak in my terrible English for nothing?' He thought slightly embarrassed. Then he said awkwardly, "ahhh, so do you need help in anything like I asked before."

She responded, "no. It's just for some reason-" She touched the spine of the DVD case she had previously been gazing at. "-these feel familiar. Sorry if I caused you any trouble."

"No! Not at all." He stroke the back of his head.

"Ah, does they shop sell DVDs as well?" The woman with sea green eyes inquired.

"Yes, we do."

"Then can you help me with getting the entire series of Smarty Town, please?"

"Yes. Right this way." As Takamichi led her, he suddenly thought, 'wait she wants to buy the Smarty Town series?'

Smarty Town was an educational Japanese cartoon, who's target audience was mainly toddlers and preschoolers. It was a show that taught young kids about mathematics, grammar, history and a number of other things a parent would want their child to know.

'She's probably buying the series because of the familiarity she said she felt.'

.
.
.

After he rung her up, she had given him a generous tip which had tried to decline. He has ended up taking it, because he couldn't win over her, in the end. As she walked out of the store with the entire series of Smarty Town in a doubled plastic bags in her hand, he said. "Thank you for your patronage. Please come again."

Then the male quickly realized something. Where the green eyed woman had been standing in front of the cash register, he saw a silver locket. "This probably belongs to her." Quickly picking up the locket and sprinting out of the store, he hoped that she hadn't gone too far.

'Looks like she's some important ojou-sama.' He saw her entering a black car, the door being held open for her by a rough looking man in military uniform.

"Um, I think this is yours." He tried to return it to her, but he took a few steps back when the military personnel sent him an intense look. 'Scary!'

"It's okay, Fujimoto-san." Because she had yet to fully enter the car, she easily stood up and received the locket from Takamichi. "This is mine. It seems like the clasp needs to be repaired. Thank you, Hanagaki-san."

"No problem." He replied. At least he was able to do something else for her, because of that generous tip she had given him for helping her.

Before she entered the car once more, she paused, looking him dead in the eyes. "I heard recently Tokyo has been having gang problems. Be careful."

For some reason the look she sent him caused him to subconsciously swallow. He watched as the car drove away, the words she had said to him repeating in his mind. Why did he have a sudden sense of forbidding due to her warning? It was like something was going to happen to him.

No, she had likely said that, because it was true gang activity was very rampant. His ex-girlfriend from middle school and her little brother had died due to a gang related activity.

The woman had just told him a casual warning, like anybody would tell a stranger. Like a store tender telling a random little kid to be careful while crossing the road.

●●●

4th, July 2005

Late that night, in Seikaku Gakuen's bus, a dim light from a hp nc6120 laptop was shed on the face of a teenage girl with piercing sea green eyes, a strawberry cream pocky stick hanging from the side of her mouth.

Her fingers danced over the keyboard, occassionally her right index finger sliding against and gently tapping the laptop's touch pad a few times.

The girl who was next to her, had her bus seat slightly lowered, stirred in her sleep. She woke up, removing her Wonder Woman sleep mask. The violet eyed girl let out a small yawn as she sat up, a warm blanket falling to her lap. "You're still awake?"

"Mhmm." The girl simply voiced, her eyes not leaving the monitor.

"Geez, our tournament starts in the morning. What exactly are you doing?"

"Reorganizing and editing some files." She hadn't been able to get updated and do this before because of her grandfather. Even now, she was not sure if she still was entirely updated or not. Something may had slipped pass her because of her brief absence.

The brunette leaned her head on her friend's shoulder, looking at the screen of the laptop. She couldn't understand it because it was in some code, but she was able to deduce. "Files on each member of Toman?" An eyebrow of hers quirk. "Wait, you even do something like this?"

Finishing her pocky stick, she grabbed another. "Yeah, it makes a part of my job easier."

"And what exactly is that part of your job?"

"Mostly to keep an eye on our own side of the playing field." Her sea green eyes sharply narrowed. "And to act accordingly." As she pressed the key to save everything, her finger had a bit more force behind it.

Clack!

Then the screen went black.