Chapter 1: Hope's Peak Academy

Makoto gazed up at the towering building in front of him. Hope's Peak Academy. Clutching his acceptance letter tightly, his heart started racing faster than it ever had before.

   To say he was nervous would be an understatement. After all, he was going to the most prestigious of prestigious schools, Hope's Peak Academy. All of the students here were the best of the best at what they did. The Ultimate Pop Sensation, the Ultimate Fashionista, the Ultimate Baseball Pro, the Ultimate Programmer, the list went on and on and on. Only the very best were invited to walk it's hallowed halls. The very best...

   And the very lucky.

   Makoto knew he wasn't anything special. Not because of some introspective look into his soul, but because his acceptance letter said so. Apparently the school selects one ordinary student per year through a lottery to attend the school as the Ultimate Lucky Student. This was why Makoto was here.

   Standing in front of the gates gave him a sudden rush of apprehension. He had researched as many of the students as he could before coming here to try to settle his nerves, but it ended up having the opposite effect. All of these people had done something so special with their lives, and at such a young age as well. What right did he have to attend the same school as these walking legends just because he got lucky? People like them shouldn't have to deal with people like him. People like him...

   NO! he told himself. He may not have as much talent as these people, but did that really matter? He was sure nobody here would judge him for it, right? After all, they were just high school kids like him at the end of the day. Yeah! And they'd probably be happy to have another friend. With his nerves settled and heart swelling with hope, Makoto crossed into Hope's Peak Academy campus.

                                                                                       ***

It turned out he arrived suuuuuuuper early. There's not wanting to be late, and then there's turning up 50 minutes before you were supposed to be there. Attributing it to the nerves, Makoto began ambling around the school. After all, he was a student here, right? He could explore if he wanted to, couldn't he? Even though he was really early, he still ran into some other students. In one of the classrooms, he saw a boy with spiky black hair in a crisp white suit sitting up so straight Makoto wondered if he were a mannequin.

   "Uh, hi?" Makoto said timidly. The boy's head immediately whipped round revealing dark bushy eyebrows on top of strikingly red eyes that seemed to pierce straight through Makoto.

   "GREETINGS!" the boy yelled, "You must be another first year, right?" Without waiting for an answer, the strange boy continued "My name is KIYOTAKA ISHIMARU, the Ultimate Moral Compass! I hope we can grow to become friends in our time at Hope's Peak Academy, the school for only the best of the best! May I enquire after your name and your Ultimate Talent perhaps?" This guy, Ishimaru, he was... a lot, to say the least. But the guy commanded so much respect, Makoto felt obliged to answer.

   "My name is Makoto Naegi, nice to meet you!" he began. Ishimaru gave him a wide grin.

   "MAKOTO NAEGI! That is a strong name! And to make sure you don't waste it, you must dedicate EVERY SECOND of your life to becoming the best you you can be! Of course, you didn't need me to tell you that. This is Hope's Peak Academy! You wouldn't have gotten in here if you hadn't dedicated yourself to your talent from the day you were born! Speaking of which, Naegi, what is your talent, if you don't mind me asking?" Jeez, this guy was certainly energetic.

   "Not at all!" Makoto replied, "But I'm afraid it's nothing special. I'm the Ultimate Lucky Student." Ishimaru frowned only for a moment, before his wide smile returned.

   "Pleased to meet you, Makoto Naegi! I can already tell we're going to be good friends!"

   "Y-you can?" Makoto asked, flummoxed.

   "Of course! After all, we both arrived early! That shows DEDICATION to your school life here at Hope's Peak Academy, the school for only the best of the best!" Ishimaru exclaimed. The guy was essentially a walking advertisement for the school. More like the Ultimate Model Student, Makoto thought as he left the room. Walking around, he discovered the school had a second floor. And on that second floor was nothing other than-

   "A POOL! OGAMI, LOOK, THEY HAVE A POOOOOOOOOOOLLLLL!!!" Makoto's train of thought was cut off by a blur of red careening round a corner and smacking into him, knocking him to the floor. He looked up to see a concerned face looking down at him.

   "Oh my god, I'm so sorry! I didn't see you there! Are you alright?" the girl looking down at him had dark blue eyes and dark skin. She wore her brown hair in an up pigtail, and was wearing a white shirt with a red jacket.

   "N-no it's fine. I should have been watching where I was walking." Makoto said, gratefully taking the girl's outstretched hand and standing up. "I'm Makoto, by the way. Makoto Naegi."

   "Aoi Asahina! But you can just call me Hina if you'd like. Nice to meetcha!" Something clicked in Makoto's mind when he heard her name. He remembered her from his research. Hina was the Ultimate Swimming Pro. She'd won countless competitions, and not just in swimming either. She was an incredibly talented athlete across the board. In the forum threads Makoto had seen online, Asahina was a popular subject, especially with males. Looking at her now, Makoto could see why. Not that he was attracted to her, he was gay after all. He could just see why someone could be. As he regained his balance another figure came whirling around the corner, this time someone much larger. A very muscular young woman with long white hair and a face covered in scars walked up to him and gave him a small smile.

   "How do you do, my name is Sakura Ogami. I see that you and Hina have already met. Naegi, was it?"

   "Y-yeah." He had never seen someone so strong and intimidating as Ogami before, but for some reason he wasn't scared. There was something disarming about her and Asahina.

   "Hey Naegi! Ogami and I were gonna take a dip in the pool, wanna come with?" He opened his mouth to reply, but was cut off by Ogami.

   "Hina, the opening ceremony starts in 2 minutes. We need to get to the main hall as soon as possible. We don't have time to dilly-dally like this." Asahina pouted but agreed. The three of them raced to the main hall as fast as they could.

Word count without A/N: 1144

A/N: Yo hey thx for reading this far into my stupid fic. Sorry that there was literally no Byakuya in this chapter but he's definitely in the next one I promissssssssseeeee there was a lot of exposition to do and I didn't wanna make the first chapter take an hour to read. I don't know why I'm explaining this when there's literally nobody reading this but I do have a habit of talking to myself so it's not too weird. Uhhhhh yeah so I have nothing to say here except for that I love this franchise and this is my first EVER fanfiction I've written so I'm sorrrrry if it's absolutely terrible thanks

-- Winter

(Oh yeah and I'm gonna try to post as frequently as possible so maybe one a day/ one every two days? Idk man I have zero motivationnnnnn but I love Danganronpa and especially Naegami sooooo I just wanted to write this ok then byeeeeeeeeeee again)