Chapter 20: Here's My Answer

Tonight was going to be a party. But not just any party. Makoto had been planning this party for a long time. Hina had told everyone it was her idea, but only because he had asked her to. This party was going to be the best party ever, so fun that even Ishimaru would have no choice but to let loose and have fun. It had to be the best, because this was going to be a really important day for him. Which meant he had to look his best.

In that regard, Makoto had nailed it, he thought. Swapping his customary hoodie for a long sleeved sweater with the same design on it had definitely been the right move, he mused as he looked at himself in the mirror. Not only that, but he'd asked Maizono to borrow her mascara, which looked awesome on him. Add to that his favourite choker that sat around his throat, and you had a look that would render even the illustrious Byakuya Togami speechless. He smiled at the thought of that. Wouldn't that be something?

   The blonde boy was, as always, on Makoto's mind, but especially so today. Something about how he'd acted at breakfast had seemed odd. Very much unlike how Byakuya normally acted. Missing the day off school? He had given the excuse of knowing everything already, but Makoto suspected that something was wrong with him today. He'd ask him about it at the party. Which, looking at the time on his watch, he was almost going to be late for. Taking one last glance around the room, Makoto slipped off and made his way to Hina's dorm.

   People had only just begun to filter in when Makoto arrived. He assumed that most people would be fashionably late, but the few who were on time included Maizono, Ishimaru, Hina, Ogami, and... Byakuya. That really surprised Makoto. He hadn't even been sure Byakuya would come, let alone be here two minutes before the party officially started. But spending time with him was always a good thing, so he went over to where the blonde was standing in a secluded corner of the room, red paper cup already in his hand.

"Makoto. You look... really nice." Byakuya said as he approached, a blush forming on his face.

"Togami! What a surprise it is to see you here!" Makoto called out cheerfully. Byakuya responded with a raised eyebrow.

"Is it? You practically blackmailed me into attending. I wouldn't be here if not for your meddling, Naegi." Makoto laughed.

"How romantic. You really are a bleeding heart, aren't you?"

"This is going to be torture. Why did I agree to this? Might be the worst decision I've ever made."

"Because you wuv me?" The brunette said, making puppy dog eyes at the taller boy, who rolled his in response before Makoto continued. "Besides, I'm not sure I agree with you on that last point. I think you'll find coming to my party was a very good decision." Byakuya narrowed his eyes.

"What do you mean your party? Didn't you say that Hina was hosting?" He questioned. Makoto turned red and smiled nervously.

"Sorry, Togami, I've got to go help Hina set up. Bye!" He called before disappearing into the ever-growing throng of people. In fact, looking around, everyone who was supposed to be was. He surreptitiously managed to gather them into one of the corners of the room, out of earshot from Byakuya, and he began to speak.

"Hey guys, so I know Hina and I told you that this party was her idea, but it was actually mine. I have something really important to do tonight, and I'm gonna need all of your guys' help to do it."

"Oh. My. God. Tea. Is this about you and-" Enoshima began, but Makoto cut her off.

"I'm gonna explain everything. But I need to know if you guys are gonna help me or not."

"Of course we're gonna help you, bro! Who'd pass up the chance to help little Naegicchi?" Hagakure assured him, which was echoed by nods and affirmations from everyone else. Makoto smiled gratefully.