Chapter Three

"Princess?" Elías whispered

I choked out a laugh, and quickly found myself low, inside of a butchered curtsy. "I'm sorry," I went on. "A pleasure to meet you, sir. Er, Your Majesty, King Sameer Azarii III."

As I came up, I found him with a strange look upon his face. "Apologies. You're the Princess?"

I stopped myself from reaching for his hand and plastered it to my side. "My father sends his regards. And yes, I am the Princess... Was that not clear?" I must have sucked in a dreadful amount of air, sick. "...Your Majesty."

His eyes went straight to the braided crown, and then back, "I see," in muted disgust by my manners.

I was swiftly rushed into an area referred to as the Grand Hall, without so much as being told where my luggage would be delivered. The King's valet kept to me, shepherding me after the monarch, pointing to the chair I was expected to take. He introduced me to an array of individuals who sat at various points around the long oval table; including a man known only as 'Yosif.' It was ten minutes before I even figured out he was the Archbishop. A strange informality, I thought, given the emphasis they seemed to put on religion here with every random crucifix bolted to the wall.

Things picked up seamlessly, as two footmen opened the doors on the other end to a crowd of citizens who'd I'd kept. "Thank you, for waiting for me," I had the presence of mind to say.

"Of course," the King said, followed by a groan. "You wear your hair in a braid."

"Surely you are familiar with contrasting customs?" I asked.

"Surely," he said with a glance. "I do wonder what the Prince will think of it, of course."

"The Prince?" I hadn't even considered his opinion on my hair. Suddenly I was struck by worry. "Is he here?"

"I'm afraid His Royal Highness is preoccupied this morning. A hunt."

"A hunt?" I stifled my frown.

"Yes," he added. He looked too closely at my discomfort and maybe even hinted at a smile. "And various activities I'm sure Princes find for themselves in town."

"In town?" I asked. "I was there just now. I didn't-"

"I thought you had endured troubles travelling that impaired your arrival?" he butted in.

"What, how did you-?"

"That's what your party said," he gestured towards Ser Willoughby, and I didn't know what to say. Something about lying to my future father-in-law felt very untoward. Luckily, the first question for our committee arrived in front of us, pulling the dispute apart.