Chapter Twenty-Five

Around noon, I became increasingly aware of how difficult the next week would be, left behind the castle walls and alone

Around noon, I became increasingly aware of how difficult the next week would be, left behind the castle walls and alone. Elías would be gone by Friday. Gone by my hot-headed command; my father's blood— and Josie was taking the night off for emotional stress.

Through my knight, I'd learned that Cyrus had left early this morning with Sam to start the recovery efforts of his effects, and I was... disappointed that soot and rubble were deemed unfitting for a Princess.

"I've written to your father regarding the incident and have alerted him of my arrival ahead of time. Would you like me to pass a personal note along?" Elías asked.

"No," I ambled through the garden. "If I think of anything before you depart, I'll advise."

"I'm sure he'd like to hear from you," he hummed.

"Would he? Surely you're not restricting his letters, as well?"

"You and your father have never been apart so long," he remarked. "Perhaps he doesn't know that he can write you?"

I tried not to roll my eyes, but to a certain extent I didn't care. My mind was preoccupied, still high on the respect my outburst had apparently earned. I was receiving immediate updates on everything and directly from King Sameer himself. "Do you think it is a bad sign that Mr. Evergreen didn't inform me of his plans?"

"I do not," he replied.

"I see, and you're sure?"

Elías tsk'd. "I think I provided a conduit to you before and now he's taking precautions by using it again."

"Precautions?" I worried. "Over what? Me?"

"Relax." He grinned. "Allow me to rephrase, I believe he's trying to be discreet."

"Oh," I eased.

"You're not riding out into the forest to flirt and frolic. You're co-existing under the same roof; everyone watching you. In my experience, that makes clandestine affairs difficult to sail without an audience."

"Clandestine affairs, ha! Elías," I looked at him silly.

"I was young once," he plumed. "Quite popular with the ladies."

"Unfortunately I know this," I teased. "Apparently not popular enough to tempt a Mrs. Gregory Elías, though? Hmm? No matter, I am delighted I have you to myself. I'm not sure I could share your attention with another lady."

He considered it. "And I am quite fulfilled in my career, if you're asking."

"Mmhmm. Spoken like a true spinster."

He snickered, half heartedly, leaving it at that. "I tread lightly, disagreeing with you, Your Highness, but I think Mr. Evergreen's concern with appearances is well placed."