Chapter Three: Snowy Day Scares

Eleanor's school days passed by quietly. She hadn't drawn the attention of many, which was a relief to the girl. And after her first full week of school, she had still only talked to Emmett from her Spanish class. She was happy though. She considered Emmett a friend and she had become friends with him all on her own, something she was very proud of. 

On the car ride to school that morning, Eleanor took note of Bella's white knuckles on the wheel and the slush on the ground. It was snowing and that had to be sign that something good was going to happen. Eleanor loved the snow; it was all so beautiful to her how each snowflake was unique yet mostly insignificant on its own. They were each beautiful and special, but together they created something magical. Taking the snow as a sign of good luck, she decided that today, the first day of her second week at Forks High School, she would finally talk to someone besides Emmett.

It was with determined steps that Eleanor walked to her first period class, history. For two reasons, one being she didn't want to slip on the snowy ground, and the second was she didn't want to lose her confidence. She was unwavering that today she would finally talk to Jasper, the boy she sat next to in history. Every day Eleanor would smile hello and goodbye to him, never actually uttering the words, and every day Jasper would return the gesture. It was a great start of the day for Eleanor because no matter how she came in to class feeling, she always left feeling calm and confident. She didn't know what it was, but there was something about Jasper that just settled her nerves, or maybe it was the subject that she found calming. She wasn't sure, but either way today was the day she would finally talk to him.

Walking into her first period, Eleanor spotted Jasper at their back table. Most of the students were  outside playing with their friends in the snow, so the classroom was still pretty empty. Jasper smiled as he saw Eleanor walk in. He had started showing up to history early and he still didn't quite understand why. Part of him enjoyed the reprieve Eleanor's lack of scent offered, it was a breath of fresh air when he was surrounded by people and though he didn't need to breathe, Eleanor helped him feel in control of his bloodlust which calmed his nerves. The other part of him, however, the part he still didn't fully understand, wanted to be there before Eleanor to offer her some form of support. Showing up to class early allowed Jasper to offer a calming smile every morning and he knew it was something that really helped the girl with her anxious feelings. Today when Eleanor walked in, Jasper could feel that she was more nervous than usual, a fact that worried him slightly and he desperately wanted to know why.

"Hi..." Eleanor's quiet voice rang out from beside him and as her anxiousness increased, he got his answer. She was nervous to talk to him. Jasper smiled reassuringly before he went to respond.

"Hi Eleanor. How are you today?" Jasper's voice was quiet and polite with an underlining happiness. 

Eleanor breathed out in relief, so glad that her desk mate wasn't going to ignore her like she had worried about. It was something she was used to with Bella, but talking to a stranger took a lot of her courage and Eleanor would've been very upset and embarrassed if she had been ignored. Jasper felt her relax after his response and gave a small smile, glad that the girl felt more comfortable around him now.

"I'm good. How are you?" Her voice was still small and nervous, but she was getting more comfortable around him. With Emmett, his joking personality had immediately put Eleanor at ease, but Jasper wasn't as talkative as his adoptive brother and it was taking her a little bit longer to relax.

"I'm doing very well. Are you enjoying the snow?" Jasper decided to ease Eleanor's nerves fully and sent her a wave of reassurance and confidence. He didn't want her to be nervous around him, he would never hurt her. The empath's effect was almost immediately seen as Eleanor grinned and nodded enthusiastically, it seemed as though he had also asked the correct question.