THIRTY SEVEN

Word Count: 1639

~Amolet

I roll over in bed, feeling the warmth of a sleeping Cian beside me.

It's a miracle I convinced him to sleep earlier, since immortals don't need it, and after kissing every inch of my face and neck, he didn't seem so excited to settle beneath the covers for sleep. But I'm so overwhelmed, my body on the verge of complete collapse, that I knew if we went any further I doubt I would have been able to handle it.

And now, something has roused me from my comfortable slumber, and it's not Cian's still body, sending a chill through me.

The sound of a fist battering against the door downstairs has me sitting up.

That can't be good.

Pulling my legs from the sheets, I pad out the room. It's not too late, but it's not as though I have any friends beyond Lev, who is sound asleep in the next room. A chill settles over me as I stalk uneasily down the short steps and to the front door, knowing it's not likely Sinful or Hale, since they would have just appeared in the centre of my apartment. I just silently pray it's anyone other than Stace.

And I get my wish. Kind of.

Opening the door just a crack, I peer out to see Noah standing outside, tilting his head to look into my apartment.

I flinch, gripping the brass door handle. "Noah?"

"Can I come in?" he questions.

"Ah..." he ignores my apprehension, pushing the door open to shoulder past me. Ignoring the horror bubbling up inside me, I turn, pressing the door closed. He looks so casual, like he's an invited guest who I am not terrified of, looking up the stairs curiously.

"Such a lovely little apartment you have," he notes, turning around to look at me, his emerald gaze pinning me in my spot. "I'm surprised Cian hasn't located you to one of his many estates in the immortal realm for safe keeping."

He's testing me.

I should be panicking that he's in here right now, likely with less than honourable intentions, but I'm not. He is an imposing man with unspoken powers that knows I now side with Cian, meaning my use to him has severely diminished. And despite knowing I'm disposable to him, I don't bother calling out for Cian. I'll handle this.

"I don't need safe keeping," I mutter, leaning my back against the front door. I don't want him upstairs. Not when Lev is there, an even more disposable person to Noah. And he's someone who is capable of killing his mate, which means he can't be trusted not to make sudden, deadly decisions.

"Right..." he draws off, not believing me at all. "And where is your immortal body guard?"

It dawns on me very suddenly that not only did Stace not bring me back to Noah that night, but he also hasn't told him that Cian and I are mates. Hope blossoms throughout me, but I smother it down, knowing better. I can use that, his lack of knowledge, against him. I'm even feeling brave enough to test him.

I shrug. "Not here."

"And why is that?" he questions, quirking a dark brow. He seems genuinely curious, even a bit surprised. He thought he was coming here to face off with Cian, and now his shoulders seem to have deflated a little.

"Get out of my home," I insist, stepping back to open the door, motioning for him to walk out.

He shakes his head, pressing his palm against it door, making it close with a decent bang. "I'm just curious."

"Difference of opinion," I bite back. Maybe if he thinks I'm here alone he will make a move. As long as he doesn't make a jump for me and transport me far away, I should be fine, with Cian only just in the other room. I want Noah to prove to me that he is evil, so I can have an excuse to use my powers on him.