SEVEN

Word Count: 1721

¬Amolet

I rest back into my seat, looking at Lev who sits across from me.

Despite owing Lev this dinner out with him, I feel guilty that I can't take my mind off Cian and what he said to me. I already knew that he had left, but I had no idea he could do so with such ease. He didn't even blink, even if he did seem slightly irritated at my presence. I shiver, wondering if he really wouldn't hurt me, or if he is just saying that.

"You could have been killed today," Lev says suddenly, forcing me to concentrate back on our conversation. We chose a nice place for dinner that neither of us have been to. Lev is spoiling me, for some reason, choosing a part of town I wouldn't have dared step into, knowing I'm not close to wealthy enough.

I shrug, holding my cup of water between both my hands, watching the surface quiver slightly with the bass of the music that echoes throughout the room. "I don't actually think he is very much of a threat."

"You can't possibly know that," Lev mutters, brows furrowing beneath his fringe of golden hair. I keep forgetting to remind him to get it cut, since he only does so when I encourage him. It's so messy and unkempt for a restaurant like this, although I like that. It's so Lev.

"He's spoken to me," I impart, knowing that it won't make much difference to whether Lev trusts Cian or not. "He told me I didn't need to fear him."

Lev breathes in deeply, shaking his head.

"And you believe it?"

It takes me a moment to think that through. When I spoke to him earlier he seemed so earnest and he assured me I could be safe in his presence. Whether I truly believe that, I'm not sure, but I know I can't admit my fears to Lev without him telling me to quit the job. I need the money, even if a powerful Immortal dwells there. He could have killed me by now if he wished to.

"I do, Lev," I say quietly, the lyrics of the song playing in the room nearly swallowing up my words. The last thing I want to do is upset him...I'm not even sure why he is so interested in this. I know he cares about me, but I've done far more dangerous things and he hasn't been bothered by it.

Lev sits back in the leather lined seat, eyes scanning the room. Surprisingly, it isn't busy here tonight. Everyone that is in here speaks lowly between themselves, ignoring us completely. I'm glad of it, this dark navy coloured dress I'm wearing is far too tight on me, and I feel completely out of place.

"I was thinking about going on vacation..." Lev announces suddenly, silvery blue eyes lighting up slightly at his own words.

I frown. "Really, where?"

"Anywhere that isn't here. Maybe the Passion Pack, with all it's beaches," he muses. I'm not sure if I'm hearing this right, knowing Lev hasn't expressed any interest of leaving the Harmony Pack since he heard word that he may inherit his fathers bookstore.

"Who is going to look after the bookstore?"

"I'll find someone, don't worry," he says dismissively, waving his hand as if it's no big deal. Amongst everything that has been going on in my own life, I had no idea Lev has had any interest in wanting to take a break from it all. "I was hoping you would come with me."

"I don't think I can do that. Not when I just got this job," I tell him. Stace, or anyone else here who has power may fire me for leaving despite only being there for a few weeks. Not to mention, I have so many more questions for Cian that I can't just give up now.

"It would be good to get away from that place."

"I've only been working there for a few weeks..."