Life or Death

The depth of a person is interesting

The depth of a person is interesting.  Just like an orange you peel away the layers.  You might think that they are one thing and then turns out that they surprise you.  The core values that they could think about: family, love, loss.  All of the things that make a person who they are.  You might think someone doesn't have any of those but you would be surprised.  Being a military brat taught me so many things.  But one very important lesson that I learned was to never look on the surface.  I remember when my brother's joined the military they had me read a book that they were assigned to read that teaches a person to never settle when negotiating with less than you intended to when negotiating.  It was for life or death situations.

-

"Hey, you okay?" Alison asked Mark as she was making breakfast for the two of them before they went to work.

Alison had noticed that Mark had been unusually quiet today and she wasn't sure why.  From the moment he woke up he was silent.

"Yeah, fine," he let out a frustrated huff as his shoulders were tense.

"Sorry for asking and caring," she let out a scoff and continued making their breakfast in silence.

"I gotta get to work," he said after he came out fully dressed and with his white lab coat as he pressed a kiss to her head.

"Wait, you don't want your breakfast?" She asked him as he was already at the door.

"I'll just get something there," and with that he left.

Well, I guess I'll just have the omelette as a left over for tomorrow.  Jerk.

*

Mark had already been at work since came in at seven in the morning.  She could already tell it was going to be a long day.  Alison could see that something was bothering Addison too.  It must be everyone is pms'ing day, she guessed trying to joke slightly even though she was confused too.  

"Laura Grey-Thompson born four days ago with Jejunal Atresia," Meredith started out as the group of interns surrounded Laura's isolette.  "Corrected surgically, post-op-" Meredith was cut off when her dad came through the door and everyone turned to look at him.

"Oh, I'm sorry," he apologized.  "Am I interrupting?  Her mom and grandma have the flu and they asked me to get an update."

"Do you want to tell him, Doctor Anderson?" She nodded her head.

"She's doing very well, Mr. Grey.  We'll be out of here in just a minute," Alison explained with a smile.

"Doctor Grey, you were saying," Addison called on Meredith and he excused herself.  

"Grey," Miranda called her again as it had been silent between her and all the interns and Cristina filled in for her.

"Laura Grey-Thompson had some dilation of the bowels this morning."