Memories

We are taught two things early on in life

We are taught two things early on in life.  The first being that life is precious. And that we should treasure every moment we have on this Earth. Secondly, that death is scary. That it's painful. That it's something to be feared. I've always wondered if it really is as painful as they say. Do you really feel anything when you die? Or does it all just vanish and all you're left with is the memories?

-

It was a rare day that Alison didn't have to go into work.  So she decided to take her time getting up and ready for the day as later on she was going on the ferry.  She couldn't wait to feel the wind and the ocean water spritz against her face.

Derek loved ferry's too.

She remembered that if they had an off day together they would always take a ferry and eat at their favorite Mexican restaurant.  She didn't know how it got so bad so fast.

Alison heard her phone ringing and she rummaged through her purse to see who was calling her.  It was her brother James and she smiled slightly before answering.

"Hey," she greeted her brother with a somewhat sad voice.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Well, I have the day off so I'm going to stop at Target and get something for Adam and Katie's baby then go on the ferry in a little bit.  You?"

"That's great but I meant what's up?  You sound sad," he pointed out and she should have known he would ask.  He was always able to read her.

Alison and James were the closest.  She was close with her youngest brother, Adam, but he was closest to James.  With Adam and his wife Katie having a baby on the way, it has definitely made them closer for which Alison was grateful for.

"Derek knows about Mark and I."

"I'm taking it didn't happen when you wanted it to," he pointed out.  "And I'm assuming by the sadness in your voice that it didn't end well either."

"Not really," she said as she left her apartment.  "He called me a whore and basically said I'm just like all the other women."

"Son a bitch," James exclaimed.  "How dare he say that to my sister.  Listen, Ali, you are not a whore and if I ever see Derek Shepherd again I'm going to fuck him up."

"James, you will do no such thing," she said.  No matter how sad and mad she was at the situation she had to come to terms with the fact that she might not ever be friends with Derek again.  "I mean it was basically my fault."

"But did you tell him that you guys are actually dating?  That it's not just sleeping around..."

"I did but uh, he didn't want to listen."

"I'm sorry Ali," he sympathized with his sister.  "Just know you don't deserve this."

"Thanks," she smiled slightly.  "So enough about me.  What's going on with you and Sarah?"