38

we'd driven back to Tanny Hill late last night to start packing things up there.

he said he was going out to get more boxes, but i didn't believe that for a second.

"don't lie to me, Rafe Cameron," i'd said.

he'd rolled his eyes at me. "fine, i'm going to Barry's ok. i didn't say because i knew you'd try and stop me."

i'd sighed. "Barry is taking you to your death, and you're the only person who doesn't seem to see it."

he looked at me for a long time.

"go on then." i went back to packing.

when i turned around, he was still there.

"go!"

he'd smiled and crouched down next to me, then kissed me hard.

"i'll bring you a present." he told me as he left.

"i don't want drugs. i'm pregnant, in case you didn't know."

he blew me a kiss, then exited.

now, i had a lot to think about.

i wanted a child with Rafe, i really did.

but he needed to sort himself out, and fucking quickly.

i heard a car pull up outside, then another, and another, then sirens.

i jumped up and hopped over boxes to the window.

at least a dozen police cars were outside, all with sirens blaring.

i ran downstairs.

Rose was coming anxiously towards me.

"Juno! tell Rafe not to come home—they're after Ward, and maybe him too." she kept glancing towards the door. "act calm and clueless. Ward and went out early this morning on the Druthers, and we haven't seen Rafe all night."

i nodded as a harsh knock sounded on the door.

i followed Rose over, she took a deep breath, nodded to me, then opened it cautiously.

"he's on the boat," she said solemnly.

Shoupe's eyes narrowed as he looked between me and Rose.

"take them, Juno." she told me.

i looked at her and she nodded encouragingly.

i walked out of the house barefoot, followed by a dozen cops, half of them holding handguns.

a few of the others pushed past Rose to get indoors and searched the place.

i gulped, my hand went to my belly involuntarily, before i dropped it fast.

My Druthers bobbed about on the calm, clear water.

i stopped on the dock Rafe and i had spent so many nights sitting on.

"Juno?!" he called.

i made Ward out.

he was stood on the top deck, a crystal glass of amber liquid in his hand.

"Ward, come down!" Shoupe yelled. "we have a warrant for your arrest!"

Ward didn't respond.

i turned at the sound of running feet.

Sarah ran towards us, followed by John B, JJ, Pope and Kiara.

"Dad?!" Sarah called.

"Sarah! Sheriff, you gotta get her outta here—Juno too!" Ward was suddenly frantic.

"come down, Ward, and it'll be fine!" Shoupe looked uneasily at Sarah.

"do what they say, Dad!" Sarah encouraged.

"get them away! i don't want them to see this!" Ward's voice broke.

"there's nothing for them to see except you coming to the station—peacefully!"

"i can't do that, Shoupe, you know it!"

"we can talk about it!"

even though we were almost fifty meters away, i still saw the glisten of a tear spill down Ward's cheek as he shook his head.

he dropped his glass and ran to the controls room.

"don't shoot!" Sarah pleaded, but her voice fell upon deaf ears.

"i love you Sarah!" Ward yelled. "take care of my boy, Juno, and even better care of my grandkid!"

fucking great.

now fucking everyone fucking knew.

i barely had time to be mad at Ward Cameron.

i looked along the deck, to see Topper running towards us.

he reached my side, just as My Druthers, one of the most beautiful boats i'd ever seen, exploded into a hundred million pieces.

Sarah fell in slow motion, someone pushed past me, then Topper was instantly by her side, holding her, doing John B's job.

JB stared at the wreckage, a slight smile on his face.

a fat, salty tear slid smoothly down my cheek, followed by another, and another, and a quiet sob escaped past my lips.

i never cry.

not ever.

not for anything, or anyone.

if i was this beat up, how would Rafe react?

Bingo and Jinx yapped happily as the door opened.

Rafe stalked past them and chucked two green leather boxes on the bed.

he wasn't mad, he was hurt, but upon seeing my red eyes, his own gaze softened slightly, and he laid next to me on the bed, holding me gently.

"he was just starting to accept me." he choked.

"i know." i whispered.

"he was beginning to treat me like his son again."

"i know."

i wrapped my own arms round his torso, winging my fingers in his hair and kissing his head.

"he was..."

"don't talk." i whispered in his ear.

we all ate a solitary dinner.

Rose in her room, Wheezie and Sarah in their rooms, and Rafe and i in his.

later, Rose knocked on our door, telling Rafe he needed to come downstairs with his sisters.

i let him go alone, knowing he needed time to mourn with his family, and resumed packing.

he came back up a while later.

"come with me." he held out his hand.

i took it, not asking questions, and let him lead me down the corridor, into Ward and Rose's closet.

he opened one of Rose's hat boxes, and pulled out the Lady Liberty headdress she'd worn last Midsummers, securing it on my hair.

then, he ran his hand along the rail holding Ward's blazers, choosing a navy one.

he took me by my shoulders and guided me to the floor length mirror, positioning me slightly in front of him.

"we have to step up, Juno."

i gazed up at him through the mirror.

"someone's gotta lead this family. and it has to be us."

"i understand."

"i knew you would." he put his arms around me, his hands on my belly.

"i love you, Rafe."

"i know."