Chapter 11: The Apprentice Doesn't Fall Far from the Tree

Harry stood tall and offered his hand out, looking the older man in the eyes. "Yes sir, it's a pleasure to meet you Master Barclay."

"What a polite young man," Master Barclay said, looking over at Snape with a smile. He turned back to Harry. "It is very nice to meet you as well."

Snape was impressed. It turned out the brat did know how to act when he was sufficiently motivated. He looked at Harry and gave him a quick nod of approval.

Master Barclay sat down in a rather large desk chair behind an enormous, massive wooden desk. Behind him on the wall were dozens of plaques and framed certificates, and there was an entire bookcase dedicated to trophies and awards. Scattered amongst the different plaques and awards were framed photos of Master Barclay with all sorts of famous wizards and witches, ranging from politicians and musicians to famous Quidditch players.

Snape remained standing until Barclay invited him to take a seat. Harry watched Snape carefully and followed his lead, sitting down quietly when Snape did.

Although Master Barclay was a warm and outgoing man, he was also a stickler for manners and protocol. He was very open-minded about many things, but when it came to interacting with people, whether personally or professionally, he was extremely formal and very Old School. As an apprentice, Snape learned very quickly that there was no room for error with this, Master Barclay took it as a sign of personal disrespect and affront if someone ignored protocol or forgot a title. Everything from who sits and who stands first, who speaks first, who ends the conversation—who opens the door, who walks through it— there was a "right" way to do everything. Hierarchy and order were very important to him, especially when he was at the top of it.

But Snape learned to appreciate this- it meant that every social interaction had rules and a rhythm to follow, and in his life after his apprenticeship he'd found himself keeping to these formalities, even insisting upon them for his own students and members of house. In his experience, people always appreciated a person with good manners. It was an instant way of showing one's character.

"Master Barclay, I want to thank you for meeting with us today, I know how very valuable your time is and both Mr. Potter and I are very appreciative."

"It's been a long time since you've come to see me, Severus. I hope that means things have been going well for you and you've just been busy. I enjoyed your recent publication about your rapid blood replenisher- fascinating discovery! I do hope you'll be presenting that at the annual meeting later this year."

Snape knew Master Barclay well enough to know that he would have to be patient before they got down to business. The man liked to control the conversation, he enjoyed the power dynamics of deciding when people could speak. Snape always imagined him like a traffic robot of conversation. He gave the green light and the red light for any discussion and everyone else around him had to obey. Snape knew this and was prepared for it, and he would only have success with this meeting if he followed the man's lead and went at his pace.

Master Barclay tapped his wand on the desk and a tea service appeared. "Tea?"

Snape nodded before attempting to politely move the conversation forward. "As I mentioned in my letter, I am coming to you today with a rather unusual request, Master Barclay, and I hope you will be kind enough to grant me the courtesy of allowing me to explain in full before you make any judgments."

Barclay poured Snape a cup of tea, remembering that he took it without any milk or sugar. He handed him the cup across the desk and then sat back in his chair, clearly listening, but not yet ready to allow the conversation to forward.

Red Light.

"Mr. Potter" he smiled at the boy who was clearly doing his best to sit up straight and listen. "Would you care for some tea, young man?"