Chapter 4 - Honesty & Apologies

"Is that all true? Mr. Northerland... and Thomas..."

Mandy and Anna each sat on their beds that night, facing each other, and still clothed in their uniforms. Anna was shocked to hear about what happened with Mr. Northerland, and after, what happened with Thomas.

"Yes, it's all true," said Mandy. "Gosh, I was completely shocked when Thomas did that."

"Well not as shocking as what Mr. Northerland did. Did he hurt you at all?"

"No, he just gave me a few bruises on my arms, and he hurt my pride immensely. If he wasn't so strong, I would've beaten him up."

"I think you need to report this to Mr. Carson or Mrs. Hughes."

Mandy shook her head vigorously, and some stray hairs fell out of her maid's cap. "No, no, I don't want to say anything. I just needed to tell someone about all this or I would burst." Her chest suddenly tightened, and tears stung her eyes. She had never been taken advantage of before. If Thomas hadn't stepped in...

Mandy momentarily thought about what happens to Anna later on in the show. That could've happened to her.

"Don't you think you were a little harsh with him?"

She jumped out of her thoughts and looked up and met Anna's brown eyes. "What?"

"Thomas. Maybe you were a bit too harsh. I mean, he told Mrs. O'Brien not to bug you anymore, and he saved you from that evil man."

Mandy pursed her lips, knowing she was right. "Maybe, but..." She looked down at her hands balled in her lap. "Anna, you've seen the way he always scowls at me and the way he makes fun of me and criticizes me. Not to mention what he and O'Brien do to kick Mr. Bates out."

"Still, there's no excuse for disliking someone for what they've done. And, it seems like Thomas is changing because of you, personality wise."

Anna sounded like her mom—honest and to the point.

"He just annoys me..." Mandy mumbled. "Thomas."

"Just forget it, then."

"I don't think I'll be able to forget." She took a deep breath, holding her emotion at the painful memory of what happened earlier in the evening. "A man took advantage of me, Anna. That's not easily forgiven. I'm scarred for life now. If that man ever comes back..."

Hot, stinging tears fell from her eyes. Anna came and sat next to her and started rubbing her back. "I know. Something like that can be hard to forgive. What about Thomas?"

Mandy shook her head. "A man who's not attracted to women and hates you, and then turns around and kisses you... that's... gosh, who would think of it?"

"I think the fact that he rescued you and saved you from Mrs. O'Brien is evidence that he's serious. I think Thomas has fallen in love with you."

Mandy tried to process that. No one had ever fallen in love with her before, at least, that she was aware about. "Fallen in love? After a little over a week?"

"Yes. I fell in love with Mr. Bates after first meeting him."

"Well... that's great for you, but..." She paused a moment and held her palm to her forehead. "Gosh, my head hurts. I don't know how this is all going to end."

"Well, better give it a better start by apologizing to Thomas. You two could still be friends."

Mandy let off a smile, and she remembered her crush on him before she came to the Downton world. "Yeah... okay. Maybe I can apologize tomorrow, but there's no way I can reciprocate his feelings. I admit that I had feelings for him, but after the way he treated me... yeah, it's not gonna happen."