Chapter Nine: Bucky PoV

"How do you work this STUPID thing!?!" I scream in frustration.

Tony stands behind me calmly, waiting for me to admit I need help working the oven, "Finally ready to admit defeat, Metal Mouth?" he asks.

"No." I grit out as I bang on the incompetent and evidently broken box.

"You sure? You seem like you need help."

"I don't need help!" I retort, opening the contraption and shoving in more food.

Tony leans over my shoulder, "I'll give you a hint. Try pressing the On button."

These things have buttons?! "I know! I was just about to do that." I look inside the oven for a switch. Tony collapses and starts rolling on the floor with laughter. Clint also drops from one of the vents giggling.

"I give up! I'm going to go eat out. These things are impossible!" I huff, leaving the tower.

I head out in search of a coffee shop to eat. One of the Avengers recommended something that started with an S. Was it Stardollar, Starbuckle, Starbucks? Starbucks! That was it. Steve and I go to a support group for veterans that meets there.

I saunter through the city, marveling as I always do at the intensity of the city lights. Back in my day, everything seemed grayer, calmer in a sense. A simplicity existed then, which the everyday bustle of New York lacks completely. You didn't get a headache from all the lights and billboards. People were more casual. It wasn't dangerous to play on the street. Eventually, I stumble across the coffee shop I'm looking for and push my way inside.

I head to the line and order a Frappuccino and a piece of pound cake. There's a cozy table hidden in the corner, and I rush to it. A few kids come up to me asking if I'm an Avenger and if I'll sign their stuff, so I reluctantly do and lean into the attention.

I then pull out the square device Tony gave me that he called a phone. I need to learn more about all the new technology of the century, so I type in the little square box "100 biggest inventions of the 2000s." Then I found a few articles made for grandparents to introduce them to the newest ideas of the century. They're all actually surprisingly helpful.

Finally, I moved on to the last thing I wanted to accomplish. I pull out the long list of Nico's triggers that Will gave me earlier in the week. Just looking at its length terrifies me. There must be at least thirty things on here, if not more. The list is ranked from most to least likely trigger.
The first thing written is confined spaces. At least that's not so strange. Many people have claustrophobia, but the next thing written confuses me. What could have made my brother so petrified of gold jars, pomegranates, dandelions, and corn?! Maybe he got lost in a corn maze or something and for the others was... yah, I've got nothing. Next, elevators-maybe he got stuck in one? That would explain why he took the stairs the other day. Then, Bianca-maybe I can talk to him about her without triggering anything? Apparently, he's terrified of the ocean and flying- okay. Labyrinths- that could explain my corn maze theory. Mentions of Hell, lightning strikes, talking really at all about his family (not sure how that was going to work), casinos, and invasive or personal questions (well, great).

The last thing written on the paper worries me the most. Will's scrawled messily, "Any triggers for war veterans also generally apply to Nico. Just all things linked to war. He takes medication for various mental issues, but due to his suicidal tendencies, someone else must remember to give him his medicine regularly. He has severe PTSD, C-PTSD, Depression, Anxiety, ADHD, and Dyslexia."

I head back to the apartment right around when Nico's supposed to come. I have just enough time to check the fridge for corn and pomegranates, which I quickly get rid of, and share a quick summary of what the paper says.