𝟏 | 𝐜𝐚𝐟𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐥𝐮𝐜𝐤

𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐍 𝐒𝐋𝐈𝐂𝐊𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 busy streets of Toronto, while the glittering sun hid behind a colossal of grey clouds above

𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐍 𝐒𝐋𝐈𝐂𝐊𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 busy streets of Toronto, while the glittering sun hid behind a colossal of grey clouds above. It wasn't supposed to rain often, but as the seasons began to change, it was bound to happen soon. My shoes tapped against the slippery sidewalk, my leather coat wrapped around my body as my tote bag slung over my shoulder. It was cold for early October, especially with the gusting wind that circled the small street. 

The street was filled with different coloured shops, each with different articles of merchandise inside. But my favourite shop along this street was a small coffee store that went by the name of The Brew Club. The shop was dressed in blue; from pale blue curtains to dark blue coffee mugs with a coffee bean logo — basic but adorable, nonetheless.

As I entered the shop, I headed towards the counter. Diana, one of the usual baristas, was working her afternoon shift today. I tucked my hair behind my ears as I tried to warm my hands up, rubbing them together quickly. "Cold huh," Diana said with a small smile as she turned around.

Diana was naturally beautiful, with wavy, light brown hair and green eyes that lit up every time she smiled. She has a whimsical and elegant effect on people, something that you would only hear about in songs. I had known her for two years, ever since I rushed into the shop during a terrific rainstorm. She offered me a coffee that day, and we immediately hit it off.

"Tell me about it," I breathed as I pulled a five out of my pocket. "One medium latte, please" I ordered as she tapped the screen quickly.

"Did you finish your classes for the day?" She questioned as she printed out the order receipt and accepted the money; $3.50, cheap compared to Starbucks.

"Yeah," I replied, "But I'm headed back to the library to finish up a project before the weekend,"

"Have you heard anything yet?" She asked as the coffee machine began to buzz loudly.

Diana could be talking about anything — an overdue paper, a difficult test, a cute boy who I texted on a stride of confidence. But today wasn't that case. I shook my head, "I'm about to check now, haven't gotten the chance today,"

"Why don't you check now while I get your drink prepared," She said hopefully and I nodded as I let a breath out of my nose.

At this moment, my hands were sweating —despite the cold outside— and my heart was pumping out of my chest. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and quickly unlocked it with face recognition. As I swiped through my apps, I could hear the buzzing commotion of the coffee shop. A woman working on a business project at the window, a man on a quiet call with his doctor, and two teens on a lunch-break date in front of the couches.

My email had twenty-seven notifications, mainly business promotions and newsletters, except for the newest one. "I got an email," I looked up as she came back to the counter.