𝟐 | 𝐥𝐮𝐜𝐲 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐤𝐲 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐝𝐢𝐚𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐬

𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐍 𝐏𝐋𝐎𝐖𝐄𝐃 𝐃𝐎𝐖𝐍 while thunder and lightning whipped outside the Toronto Person Airport. The building lit up as my damp and knotted hair stuck to the back of my hood.

The airport, despite the weather, was lively for seven o'clock on a Friday night. Groups of people wandered around the tiled floors, suitcases behind them and boarding passes in their hands.

Bright ceiling lights glistened against the small puddles and wet footprints that littered the floor. Screens with different airlines we're screwed against the wall, allowing lost passengers to find their way.

I wandered towards the Air Canada line, passport in my pocket and suitcases behind me. "Hopefully your clothes aren't soaked," Diana commented as she hauled in my last case.

I had done what Diana suggested and called my mom, telling her the good news. She, of course, was as ecstatic as Diana was, and Beckette, my younger sister, couldn't wait for my arrival. I had sent most of my personal items from Toronto to Montreal, so I didn't have to carry all of them on my flight home. 

Home.

It felt like a weird thing to say.

My parents wanted me to attend McGill, especially since they wanted me close to home. But when I told them about my acceptance to Ryerson —not wanting to tell them that I wasn't accepted into McGill— they were not, well, ecstatic.

They, of course, helped me pack and get into the residence, but it all felt off. Both my parents had gone to McGill —high school sweethearts, too— and they badly wanted me to attend, as well.

But I couldn't; and trust me, I tried. But after two years at Ryerson, not getting the proper education that I wanted, I reapplied to McGill, and this time I got lucky.

"You're in your thoughts again," Diana said as I stared blankly at the passenger waiting in front of me.

"Huh?" I mumbled, trying to pull myself away from my thoughts. "Just tired,"

"I know when you're tired and you slept a solid ten hours, so trust me, you're not tired," Diana replied directly.

"Am I doing the right thing?" I asked her. "I mean, mum knows that I'm coming home, but my dad doesn't,"

"Your dad will be happy either way, I promise," she confided. "And I know you're worried because of how close you two were, but nothing will change. You'll both get back to your hockey-loving selves, and I'll probably be stuck with you calling me non-stop about it,"

I laughed aloud, "I still find it weird that you don't like hockey,"

"It's not that I don't like hockey," she replied, "It's just that there's too much violence,"

"You mean body checking?" I questioned.

"Body checking, fighting, kicking, it's the same thing," Diana mumbled as we moved forwards in the line.