Chapter 10: The hunt begins

Jace Carson

Jace Carson

Things went pretty smooth after the camping trip with Alexis. We had our way back home in a comfortable silence. I still couldn't gather my mind around the fact that she cared so deeply for me. Hadn't it been for my random relationships then maybe we could've been together way before. But the way Alexis put it, she harbours strong feelings for me. And I'll be dammed if I ruin things this time.

Another reason why I called her out at the cafe to talk things out. I don't want her to be the only one trying in this relationship.

It's my turn.

***

I'm irritated. Honestly why do people have to always be late at these places? And why I am the only one that is on time? I've been here for about half an hour now. I try calling a few times but it's to no avail. After a few 10 minutes or so I see a figure appearing through the glass door into the cafe. Her blond hair give her away as her brown eyes search for mine through the cafeteria. As they land on me she carries an apologetic smile while making her way towards me.

Standing in all her glory, her eyes take me in. My gaze travells to the floral blue sundress on her body that reaches her knees. It's strapless showing off her unblemished smooth skin. Making me wanna nuzzle that part of her neck. Her blond hair flowing into waves as she sits in front of me.

"I'm sorry. I was stuck in tr..." I cut her off.

"Traffic" I finish. Her mouth forms an adorable pout. Knowing I caught her lie she tears her gaze away from me. The reason I know that is, this cafe is located in the most rarely populated towns of Los Angeles. Not many people know about this place but they sell amazing mocha latte with handmade cookies.

"It's fine with me. I'm not asking you your whereabouts. Just please pick up your... " this time she cuts me off.

"I was with mom" she whispers. Her eyes filled with sadness.

"Is she okay?" I enquire. Cupping her hand with mine. Her face displaying her inner turmoil.

"She's dying Jace. The doctors say the chemo isn't working. She has only a couple of months left." her eyes fill with tears as she tries to wipe them off. I waste no time scooting closer to her, holding her body closer to mine for providing some form of comfort.

"She's become so fragile. Her body is so weak. And I can't do a damn thing about it. I hate to see her like that. So broken." she sobs uncontrollably. I wipe away her tears. Seeing her cry like this creates a pang in my chest.

"But she was okay, wasn't she? So what happened?" I ask softly.

"Everything was going well for a few months since we found out about the lung cancer. The treatment was working quite well. We all were supportive of her including my step-dad Mark. He was always there with her through this. We knew the type of cancer she has was difficult to cure. But we tried nevertheless. We didn't wanna loose her. But what I saw today scares me Jace. She's become this ghost of the person she was. Drained of all hope. I tried talking to her. But she wouldn't listen. She's lost hope and it's scaring me. We need her to be alive...I need her in my life...Even dad's not talking. He still loves her, even after the divorce. I can see it in his eyes. It's so damn hard to see him break everyday. I'm scared for him." she finishes trembling in my arms. I let her calm down for a while.