Chapter 28

Ah. Holidays. Apparently one of the biggest ones happened right smack dab in the middle of summer, which, to my great dismay, happened to last a whole month longer than the summer on my earth. Apparently, all the seasons lasted an extra month, which meant years here were four months longer. That screwed up my whole mental calendar, so I chose not to think about it.

The midsummer holidays, as I came to learn, was like some version of Christmas. There was a legend that the great hero of the people would one day be born in the height of summer, and would come to save the people from the burning of the world. It was sort of a prophecy/symbolic thing that the holiday was celebrated when Summer was heading into the 'ending' half, as though the day itself was a mark that the world wouldn't be left to bake in the sun.

A big festival was held then and everyone exchanged gifts as representation of the gift god would give via the hero.

Which meant Gus's birthday couldn't come at a more perfect time for me, who knew very little of what this world had to offer in regards to material pleasures.

It was less perfect in that his birthday and the festival also was the busiest time of year for the inn. All those who lived in villages and hamlets within the territory flocked to the city to celebrate and shop, which meant all the inns were bursting to the gills to not only house those who could afford it, but also feed them.

I had thought we'd been overwhelmed before when Summer storms came in and we had to break out the cots in the dining room. Oh, was I wrong.

By six o' clock that evening, I had to start shouting to whoever ignored the sign 'no vacancies' that we weren't joking. The tables were absolutely bursting. Hal was double timing it in the kitchens with Milly, while Gus and I manned the front. It was so stuffed, who know what kind of limbs were touching me. The amount of bodies turned up the heat in the room to sweltering once again, bringing in another mini heat wave despite being overcast outside. A grimy sensation on the back of my neck told me another storm was on its way. Ah, humidity. May you sink and die.

When Derrick walked in through the door, he caught my eye and gave a sympathetic smile.

"Do you need help?" he asked.

"Yes," I wheezed. "Oh my god, yes, please."

Gus didn't even argue when I told him to get Hal's spare apron. For once, he looked as burnt out and hot as I did, sweat gleaming off his face and that foggy look to his eyes I could more than relate to.

With Derrick's help, it settled back to sanity, though he had a bit of difficulty weaving through the tables with his muscled bulk. The regulars took their booze and retreated outside for their ritual peace at the end of the day, returning the mugs to me with their sympathies.

"It's okay, this is the worst it gets."

"Stay strong, Miss Lilly."

"Don't forget to cool down, miss."

The last one I should have listened to.

Because not too long later, I swung behind the bar to get three refills and found the floor rushing up to greet me instead of the mead barrels. My head was so heavy and whoozy, I didn't even comprehend that something had happened until I was on the floor, my body aching where it had hit, and my nose bleeding where I had landed on it.

"Lilly!"

Gus reached me first, dropping a food order on the bar before dropping to my side.

"I'm okay," I said. I got my arms under me to prove otherwise, but they trembled even as I pushed.

"You are not okay," Gus helped me to my knees. "Derrick!"

Derrick had already been on his way, and soon the space behind the counter was crowded with pure man mass. He pulled a handkerchief out of nowhere.