Chapter 52

"Why do you say us?" said Gus petulant glare to the letter. "It's obviously just you he's talking about. He doesn't mention me once."

"And if you'd stayed quiet and acted like the wart you pretend to be whenever I leave the house, none of us would have been the wiser."

He opened his mouth to ask just what I meant by that, but Milly stuck her head out of the kitchen then with a mischievous cackle.

"It means I heard, and you've now got a date with little old me instead. Like hell I'm letting you get in the way of Lil' hook'n up with the son of a duke, ho boy! It's a tale for the ages!"

Gus looked like he had swallowed his own vomit.

I patted his head sympathetically.

"I assure you, I'm not going to be married when I come back."

That didn't seem to reassure him in the least.

Gus or not, I still got a free ticket out of the clutches of the bard poisoned inn.

On the morning of the day of the dinner, as I watched my own breath rise in the kitchen while hugging a blanket around my shoulders, Milly came in with something quilted and bulky in her arms.

"It's not nobleman material, but you'll be needing it in the coming days anyways."

What she handed me was coat that fell down to my knees, puffy with wool stuffing, and quilted together from the rags of worn skirts she'd had over the year, so the fabric had been worn down to smooth softness.

"I'm sorry I couldn't get it too you sooner," she said, as the days had become chilly. "But I just finished it last night."

No sooner had she finished than I had thrown myself on her in a hug. It was only by the grace of her stocky build that she didn't fall down.

"It's perfect."

And it was. It was everything I wanted a coat to be but would have never been able to find in my old world. I could tell by looking at it how much time and effort it must have taken to make, and it brought me instant warmth when I pulled it on.

"A cloak would have been prettier," she said, a little flushed and biting her lip. "But—"

"But not as maneuverable as this, and I am a working gal," I finished for her with a grin. "Like I said, it's perfect."

Eager to test it out, I pushed Milly onto the stool in front of the fire and got to work making breakfast. I had been watching her all this time so I could help out in the cooking department and wanted to try my hand on it. I ended up burning the back of my hand and wrist on accident, but otherwise it turned out decently, and since Hal didn't make some quiet remark on the flavor I did well enough.

I didn't pay much attention to the burn. It hurt, but the great thing about work is that it's the best way to distract yourself. I'd used it before and I could use it again, buwahaha!

I worked hard throughout the day, turned the other way when Gus pretended to trip and spill beverage on the bard, and had a great lunch watching chickens instead of studying, since Gus seemed to be giving me the silent treatment. I wondered how many more years of teen moodiness I'd have to put up with.

Then Milly hurried me inside for a bath in the kitchens. Thankfully, it was warm, and the scented soap soothing. She made me sit by the fire until my hair dried, then set to work on it. Despite the chill, I dressed in my white-lace dress they'd gifted me for the mid-summer holidays, since it was the nicest dress I owned. My new coat would keep me warm anyway.

Gus didn't show head or tail of himself.

"It's like I'm preparing you for your wedding," said Milly fondly—and a bit loudly.