Chapter 5-Chance

"Hello,what are you all doing down here." I gazed around in curiosity at each villager that was stood around all in a circle. Their eyes were dazed as if they weren't there at all. Each and everyone ignoring my gaze as if purposely trying not to look at me as they fixed themselves upon Tom Nook. Weird.
"We're having a little ceremony, did you bring my stars." Tom Nook asked as up beat and as happy as ever though I could of swore there was a certain smug edge in his voice.
"Nooo," I dropped my gaze,there was going to be a storm, I could already feel his eyes blazing into me. "I couldn't find any." I winced.
"You couldn't find any?" He repeated spite filling his words "Then you mustn't of tried hard ENOUGH!" His voice broke with rage.
"Well why didn't you do it yourself?" I snapped back. I had enough of this stupid money hog coming and telling me what to do. In what way was it my responsibility? How dare he raise his voice at me,my foot stamped down with force as I said it.
"Oh Texas." Now that I didn't expect, his voice was a sigh,his eyes disappointed and somewhat ...sad. " I've giving you so many chances but you just won't take one. One more chance, I'll give you one more." What the hell was the idiot going on about! I stared at him,confused and dare I say also with pity,he'd clearly lost it but then he stalked off.

Gripping something in his paws he returned. Gripping something that I did not expect. A golden axe was there held lightly in his hands,shined so bright. What did he want? For me to go down and cut a tree for him? I couldn't help but snort a little,that was probably what he wanted.
Then the direction of the villager's eyes changed,still dazed but now fixed upon something else,fixed upon me.
"Bring forth Dizzy." Tom Nook said,admiring the axe in his hand before tilting his head back towards me. Dizzy came from behind the other villagers,trembling. His eyes wide. He looked as though at any moment he may faint and Tom Nook raised his axe

"You or him?"
"What?" Then I looked down,Dizzy was kneeling,his whole body shaking with terror and suddenly I understood.

I couldn't leave Dizzy to be killed could I? I was beginning to sweat and it's when that first bead of sweat starts to drop down your face that the realisation hits you. The truth. The truth of how it's no longer a game,of how your not brave are courageous ready to face anything as you've always thought but instead nothing but a coward. Scared,terrified even,though not for others but for yourself and only yourself. The fact that in that moment you know that you'd let a million die just to save yourself for you don't want to die. You not them,you. I laugh. A hoarse lifeless laugh,a cackle more like. Oh the way they lie,the way we think that we are holy. The way we shame others for not being. I laugh louder and louder having to clutch my stomach from doing anymore, slowly falling to the ground with what was starting to feel like pain.

The others look at me as if I was mad. Was I mad? Was I alone in this dark pit of selfishness? I wipe the tears from my eyes and beging to regain my breathing, sinister huffs and snorts still making their way out of me all the way. I stand up and the animal repeats his words

"It's either you or him?"

I smile, a small dead smile fear ebbing away all guilt

"Him,"