Chapter 5 - Meeting

Phobio was a handful.

The Beastkeeper acted arrogant, even though he got his butt handed to him by Milim, and my top personnel could deal with him without going all out.

I told him to deliver a message to Demon Lord Carrion for me, but it looks like no message is being sent at all. He'll probably be back to stir up more trouble.

I'll deal with that later, time for lunch with everyone. I let Milim eat, but on the premise that she wouldn't leave mine or Dave's side. As Hakurou arrives, I look back to see... what the heck! Did she seriously lie to him to not have to walk back? 

"Hey, uh, Dave, you know she's supposed to be in detention"

"Yea."

What?! He knew and still let her?

"Don't worry, she'll get a taste of the soil for the next ride."

As he says this, Milim nervously smiles. He meant something devious by that, I'm sure of it. Not that it mattered. It kept Milim in check, so I didn't mind. It was time for them to eat.

The town had given up on waiting for so long, so there wasn't much left, but it was still more than enough for the two of them.

Uh, about that, I'm not so sure it is enough. As Milim was walking up to it, Dave had the brilliant idea to make an eating competition. The duo ate quite a lot alone, so together the rest of the knight spider soon got gobbled up.

I think Dave was just competing with her to entertain her, but it was an impressive show for the people. When the tie was announced, Milim got shocked and Dave just laughed. 

"Oh by the way, who was that nerd that Milim obliterated?"

Dave asked me out of the blue.

"Oh, he was a Beastkeeper named Phobio. I sent him back to give his leader, the Demon Lord Carrion, a message. I don't think he'll deliver it though."

His face slightly shifted in discontent.

"You need me to deal with it?"

"Uhh, no. If Milim is here, I don't think he'll interfere too much."

"Alright."

"You know, Hakurou was speaking highly of you. You must be quite good with the sword to earn his respect."

"I am a powerful man, Rimuru. I've torn countries apart with my bare hands and the mention of my name sent shivers down the spines of those who knew of me and raised the morale of my allies."

"Your old name?"

"Don't play dumb, you know I'm not Dave. I'm not telling you my actual name yet."

Damn it, he's sharper than I thought. I'll get him later though, there's matters to attend to.

"Hey, come to the meeting room at the town hall later. I've got quite a few people to discuss matters with, and I'd like you to be there."

"You know I don't actually have any official affiliation with Tempest, right? I'm just living here."

"Still, thought I could extend the invite to you. Also, you don't really have anything to do, right?"

"Eh, I was planning on taking a walk in the forest to fill out the rest of my mental map, but I guess I'll join you."

The conference wasn't too far from what I expected. Yohm, clearly a newcomer, was rude to me, which got himself a blow from Shion on the head.

Milim made fun of her lack of patience, and Shion was ready to defend her position. I was ready to stop this conflict, when suddenly Dave speaks out.