TWO

One year later

Jake Sterling didn't care what she looked like. It didn't matter if she was fat or thin, ugly or the most beautiful creature on earth. She could have missing teeth or a wart on her nose. The only thing he searched for was a woman who was hiding the outlaw, Walter Conrad. Jake had heard that this woman was the outlaw's partner in crime. Jake didn't care if the woman was Conrad's sister, Jake was going to make an arrest very soon.

Fort Benton, Montana – the place where Jake Sterling couldn't wait to explore and leave at the same time.

Two weeks ago, Jake had been tracking the man who escaped jail and continued to elude him. As a U.S. Marshal, Jake took his duties seriously, and apprehending a fugitive was amongst the things he was good at. Unfortunately, Conrad was clever. More so than the other outlaws Jake had been after in the seven years he'd been Marshal. Jake couldn't let down the good people in Montana. They didn't deserve to have an outlaw like Conrad running around and causing havoc that harmed people along the way.

Jake slowed his steed as he entered town. He pulled the edge of his long coat over the silver star badge pinned to his vest. Nobody would recognize him. At least he hoped they wouldn't. He'd been riding for two days straight, and not only was his face dirty and unshaven, but he hadn't combed his windblown hair. Neither had he changed clothes.

Thankfully, he never met Walter Conrad personally. Jake had gone to the man's trial and sat in the back of the room. With any luck, Conrad wouldn't know him, either.

Jake trotted his horse down the main street in town as he looked at every person who strolled along the boardwalk. Fort Benton was known for being one of the major trade centers in the United States, and Jake realized the town was busier than he expected. Their port had attracted steamboats that carried goods from places like New Orleans, Memphis, and even Kansas City.

The U.S. Army still resided in town, and Jake knew they'd help out if ever he asked. However, right now he wasn't asking. He didn't want anything to frighten Conrad and put him on the move again.

During the fourteen days Jake tracked the outlaw, he had stopped in each town along the way to ask questions about Conrad. Although the man should be easy to spot with his burnt red hair, and his scarred face, Jake noticed there were many men who looked like this. But he couldn't get discouraged. He was determined to find Walter Conrad, even if he had to tear down this town brick by brick.

But in order to find the outlaw, Jake had to locate the woman who was hiding him. Jake had heard from his sources that a blonde woman – prettier than a rose and sweeter than a Georgia peach – had been seen with Conrad. Although Jake had never been to Georgia, he was certain there weren't many women could be prettier than a rose living in Fort Benton.

Downtown Fort Benton had many saloons and brothels. If Conrad was here, which Jake knew he was, the saloons would be able to offer up some information for the right price. Although, for Jake, flashing his badge would do the trick, but since he didn't want anyone to know who he was, he would have to be satisfied with showing a little bit of cash to get answers.

He dismounted and tied his steed to a hitching post. Stretching his arms and back, he was thankful he could finally walk around for a bit. Riding didn't bother him, but he enjoyed the rest when it was given.

Jake straightened his trench coat, covering his badge, and then entered the first saloon. Tinkering sounds from a piano made the place lively for mid-afternoon. He sauntered to the bar. He shifted his gaze around the room, but mostly at poker tables and patrons. All he needed to do was find a scarred face bandit or a blonde beauty.

"Howdie, stranger." A woman slinked up to him and brushed against him. The clothes she wore should have only been seen in the bedroom. She touched his arm gently. "Are you looking for a good time?"