SIXTEEN

Whitney's heartbeat raced. She had to find Jake and tell him of her discovery. Yet, Whitney couldn't let Conrad or Cora out of her sight, either.

Taking careful steps, she moved away from the window and toward the street. Connie? Where are you? Whitney prayed her friend could read her mind now because she needed help. Two people were better than one, especially if the on had a crippled leg.

Before she reached the road, she stepped on a fallen tree limb, breaking it. The cracking sound ripped through the air as loud as thunder... or at least to Whitney's ears. She couldn't have the duel inside knowing that she'd been listening.

Standing frozen for a few earth-shattering moments of silence, Whitney listened for any fast footsteps coming her way. Thankfully, she hadn't detected any, so she sighed in relief. Although she wanted to find Connie, perhaps her best course of action would be to find Jake first.

Whitney took a deep breath for courage and stepped toward the street. Suddenly, someone grasped her arm, yanking her back toward the small alley where she'd just been. Walking this way was difficult, but only because the person was practically dragging her.

When she was able to gain use of her body again, she pulled away from the person, and turned to face them. As she peered into the evil eyes of Cora Daley, Whitney forgot to breathe. I've been caught!

She straightened her posture and glared back at the woman. "What right do you have to accost me like that?"

Cora's expression told Whitney that the lady wasn't used to being talked to in that tone of voice. It didn't matter. Whitney would talk to her however she wanted.

"My, my..." Cora shook her head. "You certainly have a smart mouth, don't you?"

"Why? Are you jealous?" Whitney shrugged. "I suppose you would be since there is nothing smart about you."

Cora's face flamed red in anger, and she slapped Whitney's face so hard, she had to use her cane to keep from falling over.

"You, Mrs. Brooks, will not talk to me in that tone. Have you forgotten who I am and what I can do?"

Whitney touched her cut lip and tasted blood in her mouth. Although she wanted to lash back at the woman, she would bide her time. After all, Whitney had just caught the woman consorting with a wanted outlaw, along with stealing money from the town. "You are only the mayor's wife. Nothing more. Nothing less. So perhaps you have a different opinion of yourself than is necessary."

Cora grasped Whitney's arm again, tightening her hold. "What did you hear?"

"Pardon me? I hear a lot of things. Can you be more specific?"

Cora's lips pursed. "I know you listened at the window. Tell me what you heard."

Whitney wasn't sure if she should tell her the truth or not. Either way, she doubted Cora would not let her go.

Whitney cleared her throat. "Let's see... I first heard water slapping against the boats. Then I think I heard seagulls." She paused, trying not to laugh at the confused irritation on Cora's expression. "Then I think I heard some children playing nearby, but I can't be too certain of that. Oh, and then I stepped on a tree limb and broke that, so naturally, I heard it crack." She tilted her head. "Why? What did you want me to hear?"

A deep growl came from Cora, and she pushed Whitney against the outside wall of the old building. The woman's hands wrapped around Whitney's neck, but thankfully, didn't squeeze.

"You are not answering my questions." Cora's nostrils flared.

"Actually, I am." Whitney swallowed hard. "But perhaps you need to be a little more precise on what you're after."

Cora's glare pierced Whitney. "If you don't tell me, I assure you, I'll squeeze the life right out of you."

Whitney gripped the handle of her cane harder. No, the mayor's wife wouldn't get that far. Whitney would make sure of it.