THIRTY-SIX

"And now I'm sad and I'm a mess."

G R A C E

I would never betray Miles, my best friend. He deserved the world and more. That's why, I inhaled the smell of caramel kettle corn instead of sour alcohol at Stacy's party tonight. She might not have been dangerous, but according to Miles, her father certainly was.

Diego and our little brother Marco were buying cotton candy at a concession stand, while our parents talked with their church acquaintances. Grace Cervantes, at a church festival on a Saturday night; it was humbling, to say the least.

Miles never liked to talk about that night when he was taken by Stacy's father. I knew he didn't like to admit it, but it brought Liam and him closer. I could see it in the way Liam looked at Miles now, there was something soft in his cold blue eyes.

Whatever they might've endured, Miles never uttered one word about it. I could tell it pained him to even think about it, about the man-hunt that was ongoing. It pained me too. It was almost too much to believe. I did believe him, though, if not for Liam's drastic change in attitude towards Miles.

I was aware of where the pair were tonight. A Beavers and Maverick's game. It had been Miles' dream to go to one of those. I hoped he would enjoy it, be free, and possibly mend the relationship between him and Liam. Although I didn't particularly like Liam, I knew he was Miles' first best friend, which meant that they had history. I wouldn't infringe on that, because I had hope for them.

"Hello, pretty girl," a man's voice slurred from behind me.

I whipped around and was confronted by a mousy- haired man with a thin mustache. He held a coffee cup in his hand, which made him seem less of a threat.

"Hi," I said, giving him a restrained smile.

"What's your name?," he asked, eyes brightening as he took a step closer.

"Grace," I answered, taking a step back. Suddenly, I felt a wave of shock. I recognized that raspy voice. I knew it, and I knew it wasn't safe.

He didn't particularly look like a gang member. Did gang members have looks? Oh, lord. What if—

"Grace," he praised. "A pretty name for a pretty girl. What school do you go to?"

No, no, no. Giving him the answer seemed wrong. So wrong. It felt like treason, somehow. The cup in his hand trembled slightly, even as he smiled sinisterly at me.

"Hey," Diego's irritated voice sounded from behind me. "Piss off, sir."

The man's attention drifted to Diego with indignation . "That is no way to speak to your elder, boy. I was only keeping this lovely girl company."

Diego stepped in front of me with a look of rage on his face that not even Miles had seen directed at him. I could sense that Diego had the same feeling of uneasiness at the sight of this strange man.

"If you talk to my sister again, you will regret it," my brother said tightly. His brown eyes turned a darker shade, like if coffee became a storm.

The man's dull eyes flickered briefly with what looked like anger. Then bowed his head slightly, in surrender.

His departing statement was, "Keep her close, boy. I'd hate for her to come to any harm."

Diego was about to launch toward him, take a swing. But I pushed him back. "Let it go, Diego. He's gone. He's probably just a drunk."

Diego shoved my hand off his arm, clearly annoyed; but he gestured toward our parents. "Go. I don't want you by yourself."

"I'm very capable of being by myself—," I began in protest.