10 - Blue Dream

"Don't wake me up cause I'm in love with all that you are..." Blue Dream by Jhenè Aiko

A decorated blanket is thrown over the beautiful auburn sand

I lay atop it.

My sunscreen lathered arms are tucked under my head.
My head is cradled in a large floppy hat.

My neon pink excuses for sunglasses are doing a poor job at shielding my eyes from UV light. But I am content, tranquil- serene, just like the turquoise sky. There's not a single cloud in sight, just the sun thriving and me basking in it.

The beach is wealthy - filthy rich in sounds such as whistles of the wind, chatter of the broods, squawks of the seagull, and barks of the dogs. But it all fades away as the symphony of the waves crashing against rocks takes over. Music to the ears.

Picking up a slice of watermelon from the plate next to me, I take a bite and gaze at the sky through my tinted glasses. How beautiful, how blue.

My mouth parts and the solfege syllables escape my orifice as a contented sigh. Do-Re-Mi-Fa-Sol-La-Ti.

I turn to my side. Propped up on one elbow with a palm to my cheek, I come face to face with a topless man.

Noah.

He looks at me with heart eyes. I'm mesmerized.
He smiles his perfect smile. I'm bewitched.
He casts his spell on me. I'm hypnotized.

I'm warm and sleepy, and my eyes are heavy.
I blink.
I blink a long blink.

I don't know how many minutes or hours pass before I open my eyes. But when I do, I am no longer at the beach. I am swinging on a hammock with an open book laying on my chest as an upbeat summer jam plays from a distance. The familiar aroma of hickory wood sneaks into my nose, and I tilt my head, trying to investigate where it is coming from.

Noah is standing in front of a campfire, holding a piece of bacon attached to a stick. He gives me a big smile once again and turns the stick on the fire. He strides toward me and hands me the bacon. I smile at him and bring the bacon to my mouth.

I take a big bite and chew, expecting a meaty taste. But no. It's sickly sweet, saccharine, blissful. It tastes like vanilla ice cream. My face creases in confusion, and Noah backs away from me. Slowly, ever so slowly, a turtle would out-walk him.

I try to stand and walk to him.
I extend my hand to hold on to him.
I open my mouth to call out his name.

A hollow victory.

He picks up his speed and runs away from me blatantly.
Backward.
My stomach drops with a loud thump.

"No." I shake my head.
Another thump. "No."
Thump, thump, THUMP.