Chapter 5

Emma didn't sleep the whole night. She was scared to see Morval's face again. Surprisingly the book was interesting. She looked at Lord Advent's peaceful sleeping face whenever her thoughts steered towards the nightmare.

Someone knocked at her door gently. She looked up from the book, it was dawn already. She had been so immersed in the book.

Lord Advent woke up and noticed his hand in hers. She blushed and stood up hurriedly. He stood up too, Emma blushed even more.

In last night's frantic she didn't notice what Lord Advent was wearing. He was wearing shorts and his nightgown was hanging loosely off his well-chiselled shoulders. Apparently, he never needed padding under his shirt.

She tried in vain to take her eyes off him, but she was no longer in control. He proceeded to open the door.

It was Mary, she stammered, 'Your Grace, I-, I just...'

'A minute, Mary,' he said and closed the door.

'Did you sleep at all?' he asked disapprovingly, looking at the book in her hand.

'No, I-' she was unable to articulate coherent words, not when he stood looking like a living Greek God.

'I am sorry, I slept. I was supposed to look after you.'

'No.. I.. I am fine,' she stammered.

'We will be leaving in an hour.'

He opened the door to let Mary in and left for his room through the connecting door.

In the next half of the hour, Emma progressed to the dining area to find him awaiting her. He stood up and helped her to a chair.

'You should eat,' he said sternly as she nibbled the corner of her bread. He pushed the soup towards her. He sat stone-faced waiting till she emptied all the plates that he placed in front of her.

'We will reach London by noon,' he said as the carriage rolled out of the Inn.

Emma didn't remember when she fell asleep, only to be shaken awake by Lord Advent. She knew she had screamed. Just like the previous night her stomach heaved trying to get everything out, and this time her stomach was full and everything did come out.

He held her again and kept crooning that she was safe. When her breathing became normal she realized that she had vomited all over him. He didn't look revolted, on the contrary, he looked concerned.

'Sorry, I sh-' she started to say, but he put his finger to her mouth making a shushing noise.

'Mary,' he called, 'you should help the Lady change.'

He got down from the carriage. Mary closed the curtains and helped Emma change into another dress. There was very little mess to clean in the carriage. It seemed she had vomited solely over Lord Advent.

'Your grace, perhaps you and the Lady should switch carriages,' said Mr. Rame.

'No, it's fine Rame.'

'Here is the laudanum you asked for.'

Lord Advent climbed in, he was wearing a new shirt and trousers. His usual impeccable cravat and coat were missing. Emma was too embarrassed to even look at him.

'Here, drink this.' He offered the bottle of laudanum.

'I don't want to sleep,' she said in a choked voice. 'I don't want to have nightmares.'

Every time the nightmare felt so real. She didn't want to feel that way ever again.

Lord Advent wrapped his arms around her shoulders and pulled her closer. 'I promise I will hold you till you wake up. Now, have some laudanum, it will help.'

She took the bottle and drank a mouthful. True to his word, Lord Advent wrapped his arms around her and let her head rest on his shoulders. He smelled like the woods on a rainy day. Emma felt safe in his arms. She closed her eyes, before she knew it she fell asleep deeply.

Lord Advent was livid, he swore to make the life of Morval a hell. No woman should be made to suffer this way. He opened the carriage window, they were merely an hour from London.

'Rame, send a horseman in advance informing our arrival and tell Jeffres that he could introduce the Lady later.'

'Yes, Your Grace.'

Lord Advent didn't want to wake Miss. Zennor. She had not slept the whole night. He cursed inwardly, he should have stayed up and made sure she was fine. But he had fallen asleep before her.

Despite his instructions, Jeffres, the head maid Mrs. Dennis and his daughters were standing at the entrance.

Miss. Zennor was sound asleep under the influence of laudanum. Lord Advent pulled her into his arms and got down. He scowled at Jeffres as his patience had already stretched to a thin line.

'Girls - '

'So this is her tactic, fake sleep to avoid greeting us and prove her superiority. Women these days will do anything for money,' said Amelia.

'Amelia! You will speak of her with respect. She is -'

'Don't tell me you are going to make me call her 'Mother', she is barely older than me,' she stormed off.

Amanda and Amy looked stunned. After a moment's hesitation, they took off after their sister.

'I have prepared a guest room for her,' said Mrs. Dennis.

'I am taking her to my room.'

Lord Advent marched inside. Mrs. Dennis followed him after a minute. She opened the door for him. He gently lowered Miss. Zennor to his bed. She was holding his shirt tightly, he tried to open her fingers but she gave a whimper and held it tight. He stood there bent awkwardly.

'Should I prepare a bath for Your Grace?' asked Mrs. Dennis timidly.

'No, I will bathe once the Lady wakes. Mrs. Dennis, please see that we are not disturbed.' He slipped next to Miss. Zennor.

It was what he expected of Amelia, a small consolation Miss. Zennor was asleep. He didn't know where he went wrong with the girls. Amelia had been a sweet girl, but now she was angry and bitter all the time.

Miss. Zennor whimpered again, he pulled her closer. He had promised her he would hold her till she woke up.