chapter ten.

december 24, 2004

december 24, 2004.

Bella looks a lot like Charlie. It's not like she hadn't when she was younger, though its much more obvious now. It's in the way her face curves, the way she holds herself. You notice it first, her hair waving the slightest in the front, the same awkward hand motions. Pale skin and dark hair. You'd be hard-pressed to say it wasn't a younger-feminine Charlie.

The second thing you notice are the differences. The red gleam in her hair when it hits the sunlight, her stature. The crinkles around her eyes when she smiles are a mimic of Renee's.

Her smile tilts as she sees you, and the familiarity of Charlie's smile looking at you from her lips makes you dizzy. The smile you pull to your face is friendly, polite even, but you know you can't answer her smile with one of your own. Not a real one, really.

Charlie grabs her suitcase and tucks it into the back, sending an unsure look to both of you. "Ready to go?"

"Yeah," You and Bella chime. The glances that you throw at each other are both comical and enough to make you fidget. Seems like the similarities didn't stop at your parents. Charlie shakes his head at you, waving a hand towards the car.

"Hop in,"

Taking the opportunity, you slide into the back seat, leaving the front for Bella. You pull your seat belt on, and Charlie throws you a grateful look as you shift the leftover food bags out of sight. With a quick thumbs up from you, Bella carefully maneuvers around her cactus, spending a few extra seconds to tuck it safely in her hands while she moves. Charlie lifts an eyebrow, allowing the car roar to life.

This turned out to be, quite possibly, the most awkward-- the most nerve-wracking car ride you have ever been in.

Maybe, just maybe, you hope, this was a one off thing.

|

It was not.

Well, it might be a little too early to tell, but it still made you want to rip your hair out. Charlie had brought Bella to her room as you arrived, both of them prancing around each other like newborn fawns. Awkward, clumsy, but bonded. You grab the last suitcase and meander up the stairs, passing Charlie on his way down.

His eyes crinkled as he saw you, laying a firm hand on your shoulder. Nodding with a smile, you continued your way to Bella's room, leaning against the door way. She shuffles through the old papers on her desk, focused. Her dark hair falls down around her shoulders as she leans closer to look at an old poem she had written.

"Hey, Bella." You say. She swerves to you, startled, and you feel bad, as if you've invaded her home, not the other way around.

"Hi," She murmurs and you offer a small smile.

"Let us know what you want changed in here, alright? We just left it the same, in case you still liked, uh, purple and stuff." You tell her, knuckle knocking on the dark walls.