Chapter 25: Playing Dirty

The room fell silent, all eyes entranced on the elects of the two parties. The audience was so engrossed, that they didn't seem to notice a scruffy, brown-haired male making his way up to the judge's podium. With a subtle nod, he dismissed Tubbo and took his position, kicking the stool back underneath. He plopped a book with a rich emerald spiral down onto the podium before meeting eyes with the candidates.

Karl Jacobs, a relatively newer member, was selected to oversee the L'Manberg debate. His involvement in the predicament between the Dream SMP and L'Manberg was little to none, making him the perfect candidate to hold a neutral debate. He jerked his neck back slightly, causing his mass of hair to swoosh out of his eyesight. "Alright, gentlemen. Let's talk territories. Who is allowed in, and who isn't?"

Without warning, Quackity enthusiastically interjected himself into the conversation. "L'Manberg has a strict history of discrimination against people who aren't currently residing within their walls. I myself am not allowed to enter due to the biased policies that these men have enacted."

A series of pained gasps echoed throughout the courtroom as the audience was taken aback by Quackity's testimony. Tommy shrunk behind Wilbur. Of course, he had to pull that card. He knew from an outsider's perspective that this alleged discrimination must have sounded appalling, but there were more layers to the issue than what appeared on the surface level. L'Manberg was a closed nation for a group of trusted friends- nothing more, nothing less. Quackity was beginning to enter uncharted territory, already fraying Tommy's nerves just minutes into the debate.

What the audience didn't know is that Quackity liked playing dirty. Karl had been a good friend of his for many months, the two becoming close rather quickly. He already had the upper hand given that his friend was now governing their debate, but Karl didn't necessarily see things that way. Preferring to stay on the more honest side of things, Karl wanted to fairly settle things with no intention of giving Quackity the benefit of the doubt.

"And you know what? When I become president, I'm going to let everyone into L'Manberg!"

The audience applauded, clearly pleased by Quackity's rather bold proposition. Everyone seemed very enthusiastic about the idea of opening the country. Wilbur, on the other hand, was mortified.

He shuddered at the thought of losing the true L'Manberg. The country that was exclusively meant for his friends- for the people he loved. There was a reason why it wasn't open to all- why people couldn't spontaneously come walking in and join their country at will. L'Manberg was about brotherly bonds. Opening their doors left too much room for risks, they had learned that the hard way. Since Eret, L'Manberg was much stricter about its closed-door policy. He gripped the podium microphone, leaning forward with intent. "For years, the Dream SMP has ostracized my group of European brethren stood behind me."

Tommy folded his arms, nodding affirmatively as he took his place next to Wilbur. He couldn't even begin to fathom how Wilbur remained so composed and proper when placed in such a situation.

"L'Manberg is not a place of oppression. It is a place of sanctuary for our people. What you are intending to do, Quackity, is come into our land and open it up to the very people we seek to escape." 

Quackity rolled his eyes before whispering something derogatory to George, who responded with a cruel snicker. Wilbur sighed, carrying on. "This in itself puts L'Manberg's core values at risk, and I will not stand for it."

He stood back from the podium, giving himself room to breathe as his mouth pressed into a hard line. The crowd was stunned, all simultaneously turning their heads towards Quackity as they eagerly awaited a response. His lips curled into a look of disgust. He was well aware that he and Wilbur were on the same level, every accusation he threw towards his enemy was matched with a response equally as sharp.