001. lazarus rising

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ☆ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

SAM HAD CALLED Eleanor after a night of too much drinking. His brother was dead and no matter how much he drank or what he distracted himself with didn't make up for the fact that Dean was gone. It had been a week since his older brother was ripped to shreds by hellhounds and he couldn't bring himself to tell his sister what happened. That was until he was two drinks past his limit and wanting to talk to his remaining sibling.

Eleanor didn't answer three a.m. calls from just anybody but when she saw Sam's name flash across her screen, a sense of panic washed over her. The hunter calling her at this early morning couldn't be good. "Hello?" her voice was laced with sleep as she blinked away her exhaustion.

"Hey, it's Sam." His words were slightly slurred and Eleanor had a feeling he might be drunk.

"Yeah, I know, I have caller I.D. It's three in the morning, are you okay?"

"Dean's gone."

"What do you mean Dean's gone? Where'd he go?" Her mind was still fuzzy from sleep. Her brain couldn't connect the dots between the tone of Sam's voice and his words, so she assumed he just hadn't come back from a night with a girl or going out to a bar.

"Hell."

His answer made her do a double take. She was tired and couldn't bear the thought that her brother really was in Hell, so she chose not to believe him. "Sam, you're drunk. He's not in Hell." That's when Sam began to cry. "Sam?"

"He sold his soul for me, El! He's gone. I told him to tell you he was running out of time last time we visited but he didn't want to."

The clouds in Eleanor's mind cleared and she had to face the fact that she really did believe him. If she believed him that meant Dean really was dead. She held in a sob, needing to be there to help Sam. "Alright, where are you?"

"Indiana." Eleanor mentally cursed, Indiana was a long way from her dorm at NYU.

"Alright, you go get some sleep, when you wake up text me your location. I'll be in Indiana by tomorrow night."

After some brief protesting, Eleanor had convinced Sam that she was fine with driving to Indiana and that he needed to get some sleep. She clicked off her phone and tried to fall back to sleep, but grief had other plans. Tears began to stream down her face and she held a hand over her mouth to cover her sobs in order to not wake her roommate.

Dean was gone and not coming back. Eleanor had gotten close with her eldest brother over the past year and a half. He had driven up for her birthday and even let her drive his most prized possession, the impala 67 once. It was for five minutes before he made her switch places with him because he was worried about her crashing, but she was still touched by the gesture. A part of her had known something was off the last time she had seen him. It had felt like the last time she would ever see him. She had chalked it up to her just worrying over her brothers because of the lives they led.