Chapter 5

Hello :)
How is your day?

******

*Lev's POV*

The meeting ends at 8:27 a.m. and I watch as everyone clears out of the room. The only one that stays behind with me is Kol.

"The temper on that girl is hilarious," he laughs.

I can't help but smile at his immaturity.

"She amuses you now?"

"Only when she's not annoying the hell out me," Kol replies.

"Who am I kidding? You think everything is hilarious."

"Hey, I'm serious when I need to be," his hands shoot up as he stands. "If you need me," his hands fall to the front of him, "I'll be gaurding Ms. Beloved Kara Valent's door."

He walks around my chair and he leaves.

We've decided that after using Kara as leverage, she will join the Russian Mafia. She has lots to learn, but she's not entirely useless. She came here after killing a boy. Her first kill. I know he's her first kill because she wouldn't stop talking about it. She has potential, but not enough. Not yet.

I stand and I make my way across the room to the door. When I open it I feel a bus in my coat pocket. I close the door and I sigh. I recieved a text from Gabriel, one of my agents that "works" for the Italian Mafia.

Gabriel: In four days they're coming for her. How they found out she was there? I don't know. All I know is that they are getting ready for an attack.

I click the side of the phone and the screen turns black. I then return my phone to the same pocket the key is in and I turn to the stairs.

Should I go up the stairs or go to the elevator just to go up to the second floor?

I choose the elevator.

I walk to the elevator and I press the up button. Once the elevator opens I enter and I press the button that reads 2.

When the elevator doors open I walk out into the hall. I walk past the stairs and to the fourth door on the right. When I walk in I see Misty squinting at one of the ten computers in the room.

"Hey boss," she says without looking up. She relaxes her face and sighs.

"What do you have?" I ask, closing the door behind me.

"The guy Kara killed is named Alex Foster. Him and his family live in New York. His father is a lawyer, his mother is a stay at home mom. Very original, Foster family. His older brother left the family three years ago. Where did he go? I did not care to look. Alex Foster has never had a bad record, other than the fact that he beat up a fifteen year old girl and the week after, he was killed," she explains.

"Is his family associated in the mafia?" I ask.

She turns around in her seat and answers, "No, they are just a normal family. Well other than the fact that his father gets drunk on a daily basis and hits his mother. Alex posted that on FaceBook. Why would anyone put that on the internet? Anyway, that's the only odd thing. I've never seen an abusive lawyer. So that makes me question if that's really his occupation, but according to my research he has solved many cases with good reviews. He's pretty popular in New York."

"Okay. Kara mentioned having a stepfather, can you do some research on him?" I ask.

"Ok," she turns back to the computer and she begins to type away.

I open the door and I exit the room.

I walk to the elevator and I press the up button. When the doors open I step in and press button 5 and before the doors close I hear Misty.

"Wait!"

I stop the elevator doors from shutting with my hand and I poke my head out.

"Yes?"

"There is no information about her stepfather or her half-sister. According to the database, she has no family."

"What?" I ask.

"Surely she wasn't lying," Misty walks past me and in the elevator. I let the doors shut and the elevator brings us up.

"We'll just have to ask her, again," Lev sighs.

The elevator doors open and we both step out. We walk down the hall where we see Kol.

I stop when I hear Kara crying.

"She's been singing the same damn song over and over. Then she started crying. I don't know," Kol shrugs.

I take the key out of my pocket and I unlock the door. Then the crying stops.

I open the door and I see her, in the bed sitting up staring at us. Her makeup looks like it's been removed, and she's in a black t-shirt and black Nike shorts.

She wipes her eyes and she sighs, "I'm sorry. I miss my little sister, she's the only one I've had since my mother died and I know if I'm taking this badly that means she's taking it worse. And now I feel bad, and all I want to do is call her and just check on her, or something."

"According to your record, you don't have a stepfather nor a half-sister," I say as the three of us walk into the room.

Misty sits on the bed as Kara explains, "I promise you, I am not lying. I would not kill a boy for absolutely no reason; I'm not a cold blooded killer."

"No, we don't think you're lying. We just need their names, if you could write them here please," Misty hands me a pen and clipboard with an empty sheet of lined paper on top.

She writes the names on Misty's paper and she continues, "I'm going to write my address, in case you need it. And I got a phone call from my little sister last Saturday, if you'd like me to write my phone number."

"Yes, please."

She writes the address and phone number and Misty asks her more information about the phone. When they are finished, Kara returns the pen to Misty and pulls the covers over her lap.

"If you don't mind, I will interrogate her," Kol steps past me and he sits on her bed, next to Misty. I look at Misty and she nods. She stands up and leaves the room, shutting the door behind her. I lean against the wall as Kol asks, "What happened last Saturday after you recieved the call from your sister?"

"Well I was at a party, so I found my friend told Steven bye and left. We walked to the store to pick up a few items for my sister. After that we went to my house. We live in an apartment, if you need to know that," she pauses and sighs. "We got there and my friend went looking for her. I set the bags in the floor and when to her room. The way she cried. It broke my heart, but at the same time it made me so angry. I told Hannah what I was going to do; we didn't really talk much about it. We were more worried about my sister."

"What apartment did you live in?" Kol asks.

She tells us the apartment and I immediately recognize it. That's the apartment I had found when researching her. I also remember seeing few names in the mix of things, but I wasn't really paying attention.

"What's your sister's name again?" I ask her.

She looks up at me and she responds, "Clara."

I remember that name. When I checked the tenants of her apartment. I saw two other names. Clara and Corrie Jones. That must have slipped my mind until just now.

Why would any information of Clara and Kara's stepfather suddenly disappear?

Unless . .

******
Unless what??
Find out in chapter six!
I'm so sorry for an incredibly short chapter, but it just felt like a good place to end it. You know? I hope you guys liked it, nonetheless :)
Published April 22, 2024.