CHAPTER 7

SAWYER

When I started working with Kendra, I was on a personal mission to find out the story behind the break-ins at her house.

Xander had told me that it had happened three times in three months and that felt very suspicious to me. How were these robbers able to get in her house three times without getting caught? Kendra's house already had a big security team before I came in and how come the robbers were going straight for the safe? How did they know where it was? And why didn't anyone make Kendra change the location of it after the first robbery?

There were a lot of questions and I was very vigilant during the first few weeks that I started working with her. I watched every single person she calls her friends. I listened to their conversations. I watched Jace and his friends. I watched every person that was close to Kendra closely and I quickly found that none of the people that she surrounds herself with look after her.

They all want something from her, some are there just to be a part of Kendra's VIP list which gets them into all of her luxurious parties and very famous social circle. Others are just friends with her because of the clout and then there's people like Jace—who steal from her.

The first time I caught him was a few weeks in of working with her. I was making rounds around the house after Kendra had gone to bed and I saw Jace stealing money from her safe.

"What the hell are you looking at?" He asked me that day as he put the stacks of money into his pocket.

"That's not your money," I said to him.

He grinned. "It's my girlfriend's money so it's basically mine."

I looked at him for a moment, unable to believe the piece of shit he was. Jace was an aspiring actor and he wasn't nearly as successful as Kendra, but I couldn't believe that he was stealing money from her from right under her nose.

"Put that money back or I'll call the police," I said to him.

He chuckled as he closed the safe. Then he walked up to me and looked at me right in the eye. "Do it," he said and it almost sounded like a dare.

His confidence is what made me question whether Kendra already knew about this and the next morning, I approached her as soon as she came down for breakfast.

"Ms. Sullivan?" I asked her.

She was sitting down on the couch with a yogurt bowl in her hand and she rolled her eyes as she turned to look at me. "What?"

"I feel a little uncomfortable bringing this up," I said slowly.

"Just say it, Sawyer, I'm busy," she said annoyedly as she looked at her phone.

I hesitated for a moment. "Last night I saw Jace taking money from your safe," I said in a low voice.

She froze for a moment and then she recovered quickly. "Yeah, I asked him to," she said.

I frowned and I wanted to ask her if she was serious but I knew better than to question her. It's her life and I had done my diligence by telling her what I saw. If she said that she asked him to, then I had to believe her. Why would she lie?

I chose to believe her because I didn't really have another choice. I couldn't bring these concerns to her brother if she said she was giving Jace permission to take the money.

After all, I had no idea what went on in their relationship so I didn't say anything but I kept my eye on Jace after that day.

Over the next couple of months, I noticed the way he would take advantage of her. He would bring his friends over to her house even when she wasn't home. He had access to her credit cards, her money—everything. He still does.