Chapter Three: Prom

"In two months you are eighteen, and I can't believe it Willa... my baby... eighteen. I think I may just admit I'm old now. What do you think Brian" my mom asks, releasing my shoulders, as she looked to me in the floor length mirror of my bedroom.

"I think our baby is a grown woman Kate... and my oh my, she is a beauty" my dad says smiling down at ,me and kissing the top of my head.

"Oh Willa, you look so beautiful my darling girl...make sure you and Allie stick together tonight okay. I know Grant and Ben are taking you both, but stick with Allie at all times" he reminds me. "It is a group scenario please"

I look back at myself, the dress is from our local bridal and gowns store on the main street, it is modest of course, a blush, chiffon, floor length dress with A line Princess sleeveless arms, and appliqué details chest up. I look, surprisingly pretty, my hair falls glossily down my arms and is curled loosely, my mom has actually let me put the smallest amount of make up on, lip gloss, blush and a little mascara, something I usually wasn't to do, but for tonight she would allow it. I suddenly appeared grown up, eighteen was looming, and as I stood looking at myself in the mirror, it hit me, the time was almost here, to reveal myself, my true self, and let the cards fall.

"Willa you look beautiful" My brother Ben admired, as he walked into the room beside my parents.

I turn and take him in with a smile. Ben was dressed in a pale blue tux, his brown hair slicked back, handsome as ever, he was escorting Allie tonight because she hadn't wanted a date, or even attempted to date this year.

Bens presence had become regular since his return from his mission, and his obvious interest in Allie, it irked me. Allie had shown no interest in him, romantically, but she seemed to enjoy his company when he would join our friendship group on outings or social events. I wasn't sure Allie was even aware of Bens interest in her, she didn't ever confess it  to me, that she did, or how she felt, but he looked at her like she was his sweetheart. I know, because I looked at her, that same way, and that thought terrified me.

Had the time actually arrived, where Allies heart would be taken by another. If so, I would have to leave my own declaration where it belonged then, trodden down, and walked over, as if it never even existed at all.

"You look extremely handsome Ben" I compliment, as I dust off his shoulders. "A fresh missionary returned home, oh how the girls will swoon" I tease.

"It's true Ben" my dad agrees "There will be a-lot of young ladies who are looking for their eternal partner, and you my boy, are as perfect as they get. Handsome like your father, and godly too" my dad chuckles at himself.

"Yes your father was quite the catch at twenty one" my mom admits, clinging to his arm and looking up to him lovingly.

"I only have eyes for one girl, and I have no doubts, at all, that she is the one for me, after all...I've known her my entire life" Ben reveals, and my stomach lurches, and sends me into a coughing fit.

"Willa" my mom frets, tapping my back "are you okay"

I place my hand over my mouth, and let the shock leave me.

My mom stops patting my back "Who is this girl Benny" she asks him, refocusing on his confession, once she realises I am not about to choke to death.

"Yes Ben, who is this girl that has captured your heart" my dad asks.

Ben looks to us all, a little excitedly, and I realise he's about to confess what I already know. That would be too much, far too much for my prom night. I wanted to avoid that confession a moment longer. I wanted Allie one more night as mine, my best friend and my person before she was ripped away by another... how would I live like this?! Ben?!