Chapter 19

I groan and Coral chases everyone away except Ruby and Scarlett. "What do we do? You're a doctor right?" She asks Scarlett. "I'm a scientist." Scarlett corrects her and Coral rolls her eyes. "Same thing."

"It's actually not the same thing." I groan again loudly to shut them up. "Do you think you can hold on until Jay gets here?" Asks Coral. "What choice do I have?"

"We have to check if she's dilated." Says Scarlett. "How do you do that?" Asks Coral. Ruby takes my hand. "Breathe okay? That's the most important thing." I nod taking in deep breaths. "We have to check her cervix if it's dilated. She needs to open her legs and one of us should check."

"Well I don't know what the hell a cervix looks like." Answers Coral. "Neither do I." Answers Ruby. Scarlett comes to me. "Do you mind taking off your pants and underwear so I can check?" I nod feeling another wave of pain. Ruby takes off her jacket. "Put this over her legs." She instructs.

Coral takes my pants and underwear off and I don't even feel embarrassed. I guess I'm in too much pain. Scarlett drapes the jacket over my legs and pokes her head underneath. "I see something." She mutters. "Is it the cervix?" Asks Coral, wiping sweat away from my forehead. "It's dark."

"What is?"

"There's something there."

"What?" Snaps Coral and I shut my eyes as my brain tells me to push. "It's the head!" Exclaims Scarlett, sending me into full panic mode. I feel tears run down my cheeks. "It's okay Darcy. You just have to push." I shake my head. "I need Jay!" I cry out. I literally can't do this without him. "The baby's coming now." Announces Scarlett.

My lower region feels like it's on fire and everyone's voices are muffled. I feel like passing out.

Coral and Ruby are hovering over me and talking  but I can't seem to hear what they're saying. I hear a scream and I don't know whether it's from me or one of them. Suddenly a face pops up next to Coral and relief floods through me. "Jay." I manage to say.

"It's okay Darcy. I'm here now baby." Coral has disappeared and his hand is on my head stroking my hair. "You really need to push now." Instructs Scarlett. More tears run down my cheeks as I shake my head. "I can't. I'm not ready!" I cry out as Jay takes my hand. "Don't worry, I'm here." He says softly, looking into my eyes.

There's another wave of pain and I hold in a scream. "I'm scared. It's too painful." I tell him as I grip onto Ruby's hand. "It will be over soon. You just need to push Darcy." He tells me and I close my eyes and push with all my strength. I feel myself stretch open and the burning feeling intensifies.

Every body part of my body seems to be hurting and I'm soon out of breath after just one push. "You're doing so good baby." Jay whispers as I groan. "I need you to push on your next contraction." Says Scarlett. I look and see her and Coral huddled together and looking under the jacket.

"Ask Brandon for a towel, blanket, a diaper and clothes." Says Jay to Ruby. She lets go of my hand and I hold onto Jay's. I feel a contraction hit me and I push with all my strength. "The head is almost out!" Announces Coral. I'm in so much pain right now that I barely register what she's saying. I push again and hear a cheer from her.

"The head is out!" Someone cries out. I take a few deep breaths and Ruby comes back, dumping things on the floor.

"Everyone wishes you luck." She tells me before grabbing onto my other hand.

"You're almost there baby." Jay whispers, placing kisses on my forehead. I yell out in pain as another contraction hits me and I push long and hard, hoping the pain goes away. I feel something come out of me and my eyes feel heavy. My nether regions feel numb and I hear a baby cry.

"Oh my gosh! Darcy, Jay, it's a boy." Says Coral. I lift my head up to look. Scarlett is holding a tiny baby covered in all kinds of liquid.

Jay gasps and Ruby lets go of my hand to give Scarlett a towel. The umbilical cord is still attached and Ruby flicks her knife out, rubbing it clean with her shirt. Coral takes the towel and starts rubbing the baby clean while Scarlett asks Jay if he wants to cut the umbilical cord.

I'm so tired and I barely have energy to do anything. Plus I'm super hungry right now. Ruby hands Jay the knife and he cuts the umbilical cord. Coral has the baby wrapped in the towel. "Do you want to hold him?"

I don't know who she's talking to but when she looks at me expectantly, I nod. "I guess." I'm just glad this is all over so I can rest.

She hands me the small human and I hold him awkwardly in my arms. My eyes are so close to closing. "Wow, I can't believe you did that." Mutters Ruby. The baby has gone quiet now and is slowly wriggling his fingers. He has a mass of dark hair on his head and he looks kind of pink. "Is he okay? Is he premature?" I ask.

"He seems fine. I think Halley got the week wrong." Answers Scarlett. Jay places a kiss on my forehead. "You did it baby. I'm so proud of you."

"I'm so tired." I tell him. "Can you take him?" I ask Coral. "Sure." I hand her the baby. "Before you sleep, I need to take out your placenta." Says Scarlett. "My what now?" My eyes are already closed. "Just push for me okay?"

"Again?" I do as I'm told though and feel something come out of me quickly. "There we go. You did great Darcy." I nod and drift off to sleep.

~~~

When I wake up I hear soft talking near me. There's a plate of sandwiches next to me. My nether regions feel numb but sore at the same time. I'm still on the bean bag with Ruby's jacket draped over my legs. I have no idea where my pants are.

Coral appears and smiles once she sees me. "Did you sleep good?" I nod. "Where is he?"

"He's talking to Silas. Should I call him?" I shake my head. "Not Jay. The baby." Her smile widens. "Oh, Storm is holding him. Do you want him?"

I'm still annoyed that the baby is here but I at least want to see what Jay and I created. "Yeah." She nods and leaves. I try to push myself up on the bean bag to get in a more comfortable position. Coral returns with the baby wrapped in a blanket. She hands him to me. "Call if you need anything."

He feels so light in my arms and I look at him. He has a baby blue coloured hat on his head. He still looks a bit pink. He's wearing a white top and his fingers stick out the top of the blanket.

"So you're finally here huh? Just what am I gonna do with you?" As if on cue, his eyes open revealing dark irises that stare into mine.

I don't know what it is but something happens at that exact moment. Maybe it's my motherly instinct or the way he's looking at me but my heart fills with love for this little human.