Chapter 26

Ruby

"Get off me." I scowl and cross my arms over my chest. His fingers trail against my thigh, moving higher and higher. I push him away and he chuckles. I turn to my boyfriend.

"Do you see what he's doing? Tell your friend to stop touching me." He barely looks up from his phone. "You don't let me touch you so maybe you'll like it if other guys do." His friend moves toward me again and I stand up. "You're disgusting." I hiss, fuming.

I grab my bag and his friend slaps my butt as I walk past and out the door of the small and crappy apartment.

I don't even know why I'm still dating that piece of crap.

I can still feel Chester's fingers on my skin. I pull my skirt down and try to shake off the feeling. Tears sting my eyes but I won't cry. I can't cry. It's past midnight and there's hardly a soul in sight. I pull my phone out my bag and dial a number.

It rings twice before the call connects. "What did he do now?" I almost burst out crying when I hear those words. "Nothing. But he let Chester touch me."

"Where are you?" I can hear loud music in the background and I know he's at the club. I look at my surroundings. It's still empty and I haven't seen a car pass by yet. Why does this feel like a ghost town? I spot something yellow and blue. "I'm at the first bus stop near his apartment."

"I'm on my way." I nod even though he can't see me and I hang up before I walk to the sheltered bus stop.

I keep my arms folded over my chest. I'm only wearing a white tank top and black skirt and it's starting to get really cold. I hear a soft squeak and turn to see a small black cat next to the bench. I turn back to the road. I hope he comes here quickly. This place is starting to give me the creeps.

I feel something against my leg and see the kitten rub up against me and it lets out another squeak.

I bend down and rub my hand across its soft, silky fur. I wonder what it's doing out here all alone. There isn't a collar on it but it looks healthy and like it's been taken care of. It pushes its head against my hand and I almost smile.

It almost makes me forget about what happened.

There are lights in the distance before a blue car pulls up in front of me. I give the cat one last headpat before I walk to the passenger side of the car and open the door. Jay turns the radio softer. "Come on in." He tells me.

Jay is like a brother to me. We've been friends ever since kindergarten. He's always protecting me and whenever my boyfriend does stuff to me, he's always there for me. Though I always have to hold him back when he tries to beat Chris up.

I get in the warm car and put my bag on the floor in front of me. "How's Darcy?"

"She's alright. Want me to take you home?" I nod. "What happened?" He asks in a soft voice. His hands grip the steering wheel and I know it's taking everything in him to not turn around and beat the crap out of Chris.

"He invited Chester over. He ignored me the whole time and then... Chester started... touching me and I felt so uncomfortable and I told Chris to stop his friend but he didn't care and..." I sigh. "I felt so hopeless you know? Like I wanted to slap him and punch him or swear him out but I was frozen. I couldn't do anything." My voice cracks at the end and I stop talking. I'm not going to cry.

The streets are empty but Jay pulls over and stops the car near the sidewalk. I look at him. "What are you doing?" He reaches down next to him and pulls out a knife.