chapter ‣ 19

The chai dhaba was right outside the back gate of the complex. It was a very popular spot for meals for the construction and service workers who frequented the complex for assignments. I knew this because when my mother and I were getting our rental unit redone after a water leakage in the ceiling, the workers would retreat there at the first sign of midday.

Mamoo and I sat there now, boxed in between a table of house painters who wore dungarees stained with paint, and a table of men who had arrived in a double cabin hilux. The diversity in our surroundings gave me an indescribable sense of belonging.

Mamoo sipped his chai from across from me, taking his time to sip slowly and enjoy the flavors. My palms were moist with sweat, folded in my lap as I waited for him to address what he had brought me out here to discuss. Like my mother, would he also advise me to speak better to neighbors? Or would he reprimand me for speaking about matters concerning his daughter, when I didn't have the right?

I was known to be patient, but this situation was testing me.

Finally, Mamoo spoke, "With what happened yesterday, your Mumani and I have come to a decision."

My heart picked up pace.

"We have always trusted you, beta. We trust you to be careful about this too," he continued, his words breaking me into a sweat all over again.

I had not been careful yesterday. I hadn't watched my words, I hadn't taken into considering how my outlash would reflect on Mamoo.

"I'm sorry," I announced, before he could continue.

"About what?"

"About it all."

"So...you've already talked about it?"

"I'm sorry. I...I couldn't bear him going on like that about Rida. It was disrespectful and unkind. The way he talked told me how poor of an opinion people tend to have about...previously married women." I could no longer bring myself to say widow. Seeing how broken she was yesterday, I did not want to go on thinking about how her being unmarried again wasn't a choice, it was a decree she couldn't fight.

Mamoo grew silent, then said, "So...you just told him to prove a point?"

"What?"

I stared at him, confused. "Mamoo, I think I'm missing something. What did you and Mumani decide?"

"To keep the news of Rida's inheritance a secret between the family, as it could attract men with the wrong intentions. What were you talking about?"

"About Faisal bhai talking to me yesterday and telling me to marry Rida because it would be the best for both of us."

We stared at each other. We had been having two different conversations.

Mamoo blinked, then shook his head. "He talked to me about it a few days ago, but I didn't pay heed. Everyone has an opinion about everything, and if they don't express it, how will they convey how thoughtful they are?"

"It didn't upset you?"

"Of course it did, how could it not? But to survive, you must learn to filter out what doesn't benefit you. It's always a good idea to listen to all, because a sincere word in one's time of need, does help, but do what is suitable for you."

He paused to take a deep breath. "He isn't the only one who presented you as a solution to lessen my burden, but it's neither fair on you nor Rida to fall into a life long commitment only because it is convenient or what is expected of you."

I sipped my cold chai now, staring at it as I processed his words. When I raised my eyes to look towards Mamoo, I found him watching.

"I'm proud of you for standing up for your family, but I don't want you taking on more than you can bear. Both of you are my children."