Chapter 38 - The blessing

Charlotte's POV

"What?!" I raised my eyebrow, surprised. "You don't have to ask for his blessing. We won't really get engaged."

"Yes, but they don't know about it. And I don't want to disrespect your father." He said firmly.
I nodded, giving him a grateful smile as my heart filled with warmth. I was touched by his attitude.

"Then I will buy you an engagement ring. And after that, we will inform the others, and we have to inform the press that we are engaged." He said with a serious expression on his face. I nodded and sipped my coffee, feeling nervous about all of these.

Alexis' POV

I entwined my hands nervously while waiting for Asher to finish signing the documents which his assistant brought to him. I took a deep breath and sipped my coffee to wet my throat.

"So? What do you want to talk about?" Asher asked firmly as his assistant left, leaving us alone.

I swallowed hard and rubbed the back of my neck anxiously. "Umm..." I cleared my throat and continued, trying to control my voice as much as possible. "I... I wanted..." I stammered, feeling so nervous.

Fuck!

What is going on with me?

Pull yourself together, Alex.

Don't act like a schoolboy who tries to talk to his girlfriend's father.

Take a deep breath and say it all in one breath.

He raised his eyebrow, giving me a questioning look. "Is everything okay?" He asked, concerned.

"Yes, sir. You know Charlotte and I have been dating for a while." I commented, rubbing the back of my neck. "And I would like to take our relationship to the next level." His eyes widened in surprise. "I want to propose to Charlotte this weekend. It would make me happy if you give your blessing." I stated firmly and breathed deeply, trying to calm down.

"If I will not give you my blessing? What will you do then?" He asked nonchalantly.

"I will still propose to her." I said confidently.

He raised his eyebrow and pursed his lips together. I noticed the amusement in his eyes, but he hid it quickly. I look at him, confused. I didn't understand his attitude; didn't he want me to marry his daughter? Actually, I thought he would be happy when I told him about my plan, but...

"You seem so determined. Are you ready to marry my daughter even if I am against this marriage?" He asked slyly.

"Yes, I am sure of my decision. Even if I have to convince you, I will." I replied firmly.       

"Then good luck with my daughter. She is the most stubborn, strong-headed girl you have ever met."

"I know." I agreed, nodding; I knew very well what a difficult person Charlotte was. She often made me mad, but still... She had a lot of good qualities and I enjoyed spending time with her. "So... Does it mean you give your blessing?" I asked to be sure if I understood it right.

"Yes, I give you my blessing." He nodded, giving me a warm smile.

I beamed at him happily and breathed deeply in relief. I didn't notice I was holding my breath.

"Thank you, sir." I gave him a grateful look.

"Just call me Asher."

I nodded and stood up. "I won't take up any more of your time." I said politely and extended my hand towards him.