27: Secrets/Truth 2

Haidar Jega

"Mummy?" Lailah said immediately she sighted Nailah's mother. Tears began brimming down her eyes. "No. I saw them shoot you, mummy you're alive. Oh my God, Nailah you are my twin sister! Oh my God," She smiled and at the same time cried. Nailah and Lailah are twin sisters. Damn, this was one shocker.

"Nailah, my sister" she immediately ran and hugged Nailah. Trust Nailah to push her on the floor angrily. I got up on my meet but her mother beat me to it.

"You have gone crazy Lailah, are you stupid? My mother is not your mother, Haidar take this slut of yours out of my house this instant" Nailah said angrily.

"Would you shut up  Nailah!" Her mother shoots her a very deadly glare. She immediately looked away angrily. "My dear, what are you talking about?." Her mother helped Lailah who was crying up.

"You are my mother. My eyes will never deceive me." Lailah immediately hugged Nailah's mum. All that was happening before me felt like a movie. I simply watched it intently.

"Lailah, Lailah Dawud Khalid. My child, you are alive?." Her mother burst into tears. "Nailah!, this is your twin sister. This is your Lailah, your other half" Her mother said. She hugged Lailah again and Lailah hugged her tightly.

"I thought you had died my child. I thought they killed you both that day. Wait, where is my child? My son, my Salim. Is he alive as well" Nailah's mum asked.

"Yes mummy, Salim is alive. He is well and breathing." Lailah said. Nailah on the other hand stared at both of them in shock. She didn't move nor say a thing.

"Nailah this is your sister, she is your twin. Don't you see the resemblance?" Her mother went ahead and drew Nailah forward.

"Are you my sister? Are you my Lailah?" Nailah's eyes brimmed with tears as Lailah nodded.

"Yes, I am your Lailah. Your other half. I can't believe I didn't recognize my twin. Oh my God, Nailah" Lailah and Nailah immediately hugged real tight as the two girls sobbed like babies. I looked at Jamal and he had the same expression as mine. Yeah, shock. Who wouldn't be? The scene was entertaining and shocking.

"Lailah they didn't kill you. How did you survive?" Nailah asked.

"Yeah, they didn't. One of the men didn't have it in him to kill little kids, so they threw us in the Niger desert" Lailah said.

"Come my child, come and sit let's talk." Her mother dragged her towards the two-seater where she previously sat.

"I'm glad you are okay, I'm glad you're alive and very beautiful. My children are now complete" Her mother hugged Lailah. I was so perplexed that I couldn't speak. I wanted to hear more gist regarding what they were speaking about.

"Mummy but I saw you fall. I saw them shot you on the chest" Lailah said.

"Yes they did shoot me, but I managed to survive after the police got there." Her mother said.

"And Nailah?" She turned to her sister.

"I hid in the cupboard in the kitchen, he was looking for me but by then the police arrived so he ran away," Nailah said. She looked very peaceful as she spoke to Lailah. For the first time, she wasn't looking at her with hatred. But with great adoration.

"Where is Salim?" Nailah asked.

"He is schooling in Saudi Arabia. He's studying medicine mummy" She held her mum's arm lovingly. I could see her mum's eyes drift to the badge laying on her chest.

"You joined the Nigerian Army?" Her mother asked in bewilderment.

"Yes, mummy," she said.

"But why? Why would you do such a thing after knowing our family suffered because of it? Weren't you scared my child?" Her mother held her chin as tears filled her eyes. It was then I could see the resemblance. Lailah and Nailah took their looks from their beautiful mother. Though Lailah was fair and Nailah was brown-skinned.

"I did it for dad, you, Nailah, and Salim. I did it for the family, I shall bring him to justice mum. I promise you, he shall taste a dreadful death than dad's." Lailah said, her voice holding great vengeance. The taste for revenge was very clear and it irked me a bit.

"Have you seen him ever since then?" Her mother asked.

"Yeah, I have and he recognized me and wants me dead. Mum you and Nailah have to leave unless he'll kill you guys" Lailah said.

"And leave you here to die? Never Lailah. I just got you back and there is no way I shall lose you again. You are coming with us" Nailah said through gritted teeth. "I can't lose you again Lailah, I just can't," Nailah said.

"But wait, why is it that you both never spoke about each other? Though you both have met and I'm sure your names rang a bell" I was the one that chipped into their conversation. Curiosity got the best of me.

"We do not speak about Lailah and my brother. Indeed it rang a bell, but whenever I saw her I felt anger. Because she reminded me about my twin" Nailah responded.

"And I never had it in me to talk about them, I just couldn't reopen my healing wounds," Lailah said. I nodded with a smile at both of them.

"Lailah you are coming with us, we have to leave this country." Her mother said.

"But how about my country, they need their soldier. I took an oat to serve them"
Lailah said.

"And lose your life? Lailah you've always been stubborn. I shall not lose my daughter again, you have to come with me, my love. You have to forget about the revenge." Her mother said.

"Mother, that man not only wants me dead. But Haidar as well" she turned to me and said.

"Me?" I asked. I was shocked. How did I relate to their matter?

"Yes you, and they killed your father as well," Lailah said.

"Who are they?" I asked. My hands were trembling with fear. I couldn't breathe any longer.

"I cannot tell you for now. That's the reason why I have to leave you. My presence will cost you your life, Haidar."
She said.

"And how?." I asked.

"I made a deal with the Devil!"
She simply said.