Forty-One: Take The Wheel

HOW MUCH WOULD AN Uber ride from San Francisco to Fresno cost?

I couldn't find a definitive answer online. The range was anywhere between 200 and 500 dollars, and I didn't like either end of that. What were the chances that they would refund me if I canceled my reservation for my hotel room tonight? Or that Bren would want to leave early?

Probably very little.

I had no reason to want to go back to Fresno. It was backward thinking, honestly. I'd leaped at the opportunity to come with Bren this weekend just for a chance to escape, and now I wanted to rush back home?

It had nothing to do with wanting to be in Fresno, though. I just didn't want to be here anymore. Not after how things had ended with Beau this morning. God, Bren was going to kill me when he realized how I'd acted toward his best friend.

My relationship with Bren Hadaway was complicated, but it had been easy lately. Nice, too, having him around. We didn't talk much, but we understood each other. Not many people understood me, and now I wondered if I'd risked losing one of the very few people who did.

Hoisting myself out of bed, I walked to the massive bathtub and stared at it.

Maybe I could wash everything away.

It wasn't likely, but I could try.

I watched the birds outside the art studio window on campus flit from one tree branch to another. Spring kept making tiny appearances lately before the wind would blow cold again. Of course it never got that cold here, but it was chilly enough to make me miss the hot sun.

Right now that sun was dipping lower, threatening to disappear completely. Dark clouds had begun to form over the bay, and I didn't like the look of that. Forcing my eyes back to my canvas, I pushed the thought of rain and storms to the back of my mind.

My favorite time at the art studio was evening—when most everyone else left to grab dinner before the university commons closed. To be clear, I liked a lot of the people I'd met in class. Really, I did. But when it came to getting some work done, I needed to be alone.

I thought Kyra and Andre would never leave earlier. They seemed happy enough to chat about the upcoming spring exposition instead of focusing on getting ready for said spring exposition. Granted, we were only a few weeks into the semester, and there was over a month to go before the showcase, but still. A lot of people would be attending, and getting their thoughts on if my work was worthwhile or if I was talentless would help me figure out what to do next year.

It felt silly, sometimes, going down this path of artistry. I fretted over money enough as it was, and yet, I continually made choices that reduced my cash flow. Hell, I didn't even have a job right now. Sitting here toying with paints seemed...useless at times.