Get in Line

Wednesday morning
Andy's POV
I had shift in 30 minutes, my daughter and I ran around the house getting ready for our days. After 20 minutes, we were pulling up in front of her school.

Andy: Omg I have a whole 5th grader can time please slow down?
Adrianna: I love you mom, I'll see you at 3:25 dismissal time?
Andy: yes hey I know this pick up schedule has been hard since grandpa left us.
Adrianna: it's cool mom we're making it work and he'll be back next week.
Andy: Yes he will, kisses.

Adrianna gave me a kiss before running to catch up with her friends Lexi and Madelyn. I looked at my watch I had 8 minutes to make it to work. I kept praying that the new Captain of Station 19 wasn't there yet. I would hate to make a bad first impression of our new Captain.

When I arrived at the Station I had 1 minute to spare. Maya met me at my locker.

Maya: You made it.
Andy: Yes, now let's go get ready to impress this new Captain.

We were all sitting around the dining table when the new Captain called.

Captain Sullivan: Line up in 1 minute.

We all ran out to the apparatus floor.

Before he could get to me the Intercom went off. We all loaded into our vehicles and headed to the location.

We had three back to back calls 2 accidents and one trash fire. When we returned to the station it was around 2:30pm. We thought we were about to go get cleaned up, but instead Captain Sullivan insisted on drills. He said he wasn't pleased in what he saw with todays calls.

During drills I kept looking down at my watch at 3:15 I decided I had to make a run for it. I turned to go towards the stairs.

Captain Sullivan: Where do you think you're going?
Andy: I have to go pick up my daughter real quick.

After 10 minutes of him yelling at me in front of everybody, he finally let me go pick up my daughter.

Captain Sullivan: This is the first and last time you'll do this while I'm Captain.

15 minutes later I had returned back to the Station with my daughter.

Andy: This new Captain is a real Jack ahh
Adrianna: Mom your language
Andy: I'm sorry kiddo. He's just really getting under my skin.

Andy: Umm you can hang out in my room and start on your homework if you want food we have spaghetti leftovers, and your dad he'll pick you up as soon as his shift is over.

We walked back in together. Jack and Vic were the first to greet Adri. Followed by Maya, Jack, Theo. Ben and Travis came over to me.

Ben: You good?
Andy: Yea I'm good. I gotta stay strong for her.
Travis: Group Hug

From the corner of my eye I could see Captain Sullivan watching from the office.

8 at night
Ryan's POV
I had just got cleaned up from my shift and was headed to pick my daughter up from her mom's job.

I hated the fact that my daughter had not 1, but 2 parents who worked risky jobs everyday. I just prayed everyday we both made it back home to her.

When I arrived at the Station I waited at the front entrance. After a few minutes Andy and Adrianna came down the stairs.

Andy: Alright kiddo I'll see you after school tomorrow and than we have the next 2 days to hangout.
Adrianna: alright mom I love you please be safe.
Ryan: what she said.

By Andy's face I could tell today had already been a long day. I grabbed her hand.

Ryan: you got this.

A smile appeared on her face. My daughter and I exited the building and headed to my car.