Chapter 2

SERENA POV

The airport was crowded with passengers going in every direction to reach their terminals. Many were dressed in Hawaiian shirts, ready to go someplace warm for vacation.

Even though they were already in California, one of the best vacation spots.

I look next to me to see Joyce scanning for our terminal with the tickets in her hand.

"What terminal are we at?" I ask her as I glance around at the large blue numbers on the walls.

"We are at..." She pauses while her eyes scan the room. "Twelve, right there."

I follow her head and nod to see the large numbers above the gate.

Passengers were already lined up to board so we joined the queue.

It didn't take long for the line to move with jumpy passengers ready for their vacation.

"Tickets please," The lady behind the desk says with a warm smile. Joyce hands them over to her and she scans them before gesturing us ahead.

"Are you excited?" Joyce asks for what must have been the twentieth time since we left our apartment.

"Hell yes. I needed a vacation so badly. Thank you again for the trip," I say giving her a side hug. She returns it and leans her head on my shoulder as we walk through the terminal.

After a few minutes, we were settled into our seats and resting back. I had the window seat that outlooked the wing of the plane to the right.

"Joyce, I just realized something," I say with my eyes shooting open slightly. She looks at me with a slight head tilt. "I have never flown before. What if I am scared of heights?"

"Wait you have never been on a plane?" She asks and I shake my head.

"Just take a deep breath. Once we are in the air, you won't even realize you are in the sky," She reaches over the armrest and grabs my hand, squeezing it. I nod my head and look out the window at the landing strip below the wing.

Focusing on my breathing, I played on my phone until the plane moved. My grip on her hand got tighter and she looks over at me.

"Just breath, you are going to be just fine," She says and I nod even though it didn't help at all.

"Is she alright?" The man sitting beside her asks. His voice was laced with a thick Italian accent. I lean my head back as I try to breathe normally.

"First time flyer," She tells him in a kind voice.

"You're going to be alright," The voice says and I look over at him. He had kind emerald eyes and tanned skin. "It is worse than it seems."

"Oh god," I say as the plane stops. "What's happening?"

The man laughs as if my fear was comical.

"The plane is stopping before the pilots start the engines and we shoot off," He says and I nod my head.

My eyes go wide in panic as I grab the armrest with my other hand.

They both go quiet beside me as I look out the window. Within a few seconds, the plane starts to make a loud noise and shakes slightly before we start moving forward and quickly picking up speed.

"Oh god," I say when the plane lifts. I squeeze my eyes shut as the plane tilts and jolts ever so slightly.

"Breath," Joyce says rubbing my arm lightly. I let out the air I was holding and take a few rapid breaths as my ears start to pop.