Chapter 20

Serena POV

Walking towards the bed, I feel Massimo's eyes trailing me, watching my every move.

Looking over my shoulder I catch his eye.

He was leaning against the wall watching with dark, lust-filled eyes.

"What are you looking at?" I ask with a raised eyebrow teasingly.

"My beautiful wife," He comments in a rough, hoarse voice. Goosebumps flash across my arms at his tone.

"Because in technicalities, this is our first night together as husband and wife," He says slowly stalking towards me.

"A marriage that is for benefits not love," I add in as I sat on the edge of the bed. "One that I did not agree to, might I add."

Silence filled the room as he swiftly moved until he stood in front of me. My head tilted back to look into his eyes.

"But yet you have not fought me on it nor asked for a divorce," He whispers into my ear. His warm breath fanned my neck as he places a light kiss on my jaw.

"Its never too late."

"Mhm," He hums against my throat sending goosebumps down my arms. "Maybe I should show you just what you would be missing if you were to leave me then."

"What if I still choose to leave after all this is done?"

"Then I didn't do a good job at convincing you otherwise," He whispers into my ear.

My hand goes to his chest as I connect my eyes with his.

"Or maybe I'm good at detecting bullshit," I nearly whisper as our faces are inches apart. A smirk appears on his face as he moves the tiniest bit closer.

"No bullshit here baby. Only truth and reality. And the truth is that I am speechless every time my eyes lay on you," He says and puts a hand on my cheek, cupping it as if too much pressure would cause me to break. "And that reality is that I will never lie to you."

I move my eyes over his face as I access him.

His eyes are focused on mine with an unreadable expression.

I smile at him with tired eyes.

"Maybe I'll take you up on that offer another night," I reply and he nods his head.

"Let me get you something to change into."

I watch him turn around and move towards the hidden closet.

Something about the way he spoke seemed to be filled with passion. No, not passion. Lust.

That was all this truly was.

I was here because he needed my help to handle the Spanish.

The only reason we ever got intimate must have been a strategy to earn my trust.

Or maybe he was just horny.

Either way, there was nothing in this faked marriage.

As soon as all this was over, if I was still alive, I would divorce him and go far away where nobody from this life would ever find me again.

No more favors, no more killing. Just me living my normal life.

But what would that life look like?

Where would I even start?

"Penny for your thought?" Massimo asks as he moves to stand in front of me. He held clothing over his forearm but instead of passing them over to me, he sat beside me on the bed.