Departure

Two days later, four hab-rovers and an unmanned cargo rover set out from New London, heading west.

     David declined Andrew's invitation to join him in the cockpit as they approached the Dartmoor battlefield. "You don't have to remind me where I came from every time we pass over it," he said irritably.

     "Your real parents are down there somewhere," Andrew told him. "I just think we need to acknowledge the fact, that's all."

     "My biological parents, not my real parents," David insisted. "You're my real parents. You and mum. All they did was leave a few eggs to be taken into the city."

     "Which involves uncomfortable and embarrassing invasive medical procedures," Susan added, coming to her husband's aid. "Believe me, I know. I found out all about it when they were putting you inside me. And while she was lying there, in some impersonal surgery with only her husband holding her hand to give it a bit of humanity, they both knew they were going to die in a few months. When the secret got out. The truth of why the underground cities were being built. They were thinking of you while they were being taught how to use their weapons, how to treat battlefield injuries. They weren't fighting for me or Andrew or for James and Jasmine. They were fighting for you, that you would have a chance to be born some day."

     "I know that," said David, squirming uncomfortably.

     "I know you're still too young to really understand," said Andrew patiently. "But when you've got a child of your own and you look deep into his eyes..."

     "Okay, Dad!" said David, his pale face turning red with embarrassment. "Getting a little too intense now! I get it, okay? I understand. They teach it in history and you two've told me about it each of the other seven times we crossed the battlefield."

     "Okay," said Andrew, chastened and disappointed. "I won't mention it again, I promise."

     He got up to leave, but David leapt out of his seat and ran over to him, throwing his arms around his neck and giving him a tight hug. "I know about the people down there," he said. "I know what they did, but it's just history to me, do you see? You're my parents. You and mum. You can tell me about my egg donors all day and it won't change who you are. You're my parents and nothing will ever change that."

     Andrew felt tears come to his eyes as he returned his son's hug. The feel of the boy's small, warm body against his own, the feel of his ear against the side of his face, was the most wonderful thing he'd ever experienced. "Thank you, Davey," he managed to say. "I love you. I love you so much. And the rest of you, of course," he added over David's shoulder. He saw Susan grinning at him and grinned back, knowing he must look like an idiot and not caring.

     David wasn't big on displays of emotion, though, and, suddenly feeling embarrassed, he disengaged himself from his father and returned to his own seat where he immediately became very interested in the homework on his tablet. One blue eye lifted warily up to look at Andrew, only to flick back to the glowing tablet screen when he saw his father smiling back at him. The love Andrew felt for his family suddenly grew so large that he felt as if he might burst, but it also made him feel self conscious and awkward so he got up from his seat and went to the cockpit.

     Jasmine was in the pilot's seat, looking out over the frozen wasteland of broken ice. There wasn't much for her to do. This close to the city, all the rover had to do was follow the transponders, but they all felt better with someone in the drivers seat, keeping an eye on things.

     Andrew bent down to kiss the top of her head. "I love you, Jasmine," he said, putting a hand on her shoulder.

     "Okay," the girl replied, sounding puzzled. "Bit weird. What brought that on?"