𝟬𝟰

✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩ TODAY ✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩

Rose had raced up into her room, thrown herself on her bed and cried.

Thick, hot tears that splashed down her cheeks as though there had been famine, and her sadness were the merciful droplets of rain that saved the crops. Her and Jeremiah never fought. It was only small, petty things like he kept kicking her seat in the car, or kept breathing in her ear when she was trying to read—they bickered, they made up—they didn't do this. They never walked away with something unresolved. Never.

Belly had come up immediately, looking equally as dejected, and the two decided to get ready for that night's bonfire together. Belly had declared that she was going to get drunk, hook up with someone random and leave, to which Rose supported wholeheartedly. She still hadn't had her first kiss, but that was alright. Most sixteen-year-olds had, hadn't they?

It was fine. It didn't make her weird. She was fine. Everything was fine.

"I'm surprised we even decided to do this again this summer," Rose muttered, looking at herself in the mirror. She wore a tight midnight dress, with a black leather jacket tossed over the top. Last year, she wouldn't have shown up at all, never mind wearing that.

A lot can change in a year.

"I don't know whether I like it or not. You know. Being here and not at home. It's really weird. Nothing's the same anymore."

"You love change."

"Mhm. Not this."

Belly sighed from the bed, throwing a tired arm over her face. "I don't know which I'd want more. It's weird now, but it would be even stranger not coming to Cousins. I think—"

A car beeped from outside.

Belly shot up. "The hell?"

Rose walked over to the window to see the boys getting into Conrad's car with stupid grins up to the window. Jeremiah got in without a word, while Steven waved and grinned up at the two of them like an idiot.

This felt like a brick wall. Something she couldn't get past. Rose always felt like this whenever she fell out with people—it was unusual that she ever did, but when she did, it felt like the world would stop spinning. Life would never be the same. She knew how it worked in books. She supposed maybe this was the inciting incident, or a pinch point, or even the climax. That's what was annoying. She couldn't see into the future; she couldn't see what was ahead of her. What was ahead of them. Would they never be the same again, or would they go right back to normal? She hoped they did.

But him leaving without her felt like a pretty good message. It read 'fuck off'.

Belly huffed. "The bitches."

"Amen, sister."

Belly snorted. No way were they missing out on this bonfire. There was no way she would sit and mope around, and there was certainly not a chance in hell that she'd let Belly sit and feel sorry for herself either. "Come on," Rose said while quickly adding some more blush to her face. "I'll drive!"

She dashed out of the room and down the stairs with the rhythmic sound of her feet against the steps pounding in her ears. Belly laughed as she raced after her, yelling, "You're barely licensed!"

"So?" Rose called, grabbing Steven's car keys from the side. "I'm legal. I can drive."

"I love you."

Rose shot her a wink as she wrenched open the door. "And I love you."